Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Porty's Guide To BBQ Cooking  (Read 36747 times)

Offline Porty

• Administrator
Porty's Guide To BBQ Cooking
« on: Saturday 30 May 2009, 1628 »
Well with the weather been like summer i see everyone buying BBQ's so i thought i would give you all some important tips on cooking safely and how to get the best from your BBQ.

Different types of charcoal burn at varying speeds and heats. The best guide to when they're ready is a visual one: the charcoal should be ashy grey on the outside and glowing red in the centre.

Food will naturally stick when it first touches the grill, but will come away easily once the outside has seared. Make sure your grill rack is very hot, then sear your food on both sides over a medium-high heat close to the middle of the grill where the charcoal tends to be the hottest because it is more closely packed.

Regularly move the food on the grill. If your ingredients are naturally fatty or too liberally coated in oil, the fat will drip onto the barbecue and cause flaring, which will give the food an unpleasant taste and a blackened appearance.

Once your food is seared you then have to decide how to cook it. Quick-cooking foods, such as vegetables and fish, should be kept over a medium-high heat.

Denser meats and poultry should be moved to a medium or medium-low area of the grill. Either move the rack higher or find a cooler spot such as closer to the rim.

The food should be turned regularly until cooked to your liking. It's better to have golden, succulent food than perfectly burnt grill marks that taste bitter. Be absolutely certain that the meat is cooked all the way through.

Porty's top BBQ burger -

You will need -

450g/16oz lean beef mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely diced
2 spring onions, sliced
handful basil leaves, chopped
olive oil for frying

1. In a large bowl mix together the mince, garlic, tomato ketchup, mustard, egg, chilli and onion.
2. Dive in with your hands and mix until the ingredients are well blended.
3. Just before cooking, add the spring onions and basil to the mixture and divide into four patties.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the burgers.
5. Turn them once only, cooking for about 5-6 minutes each side. (Alternatively you can cook them under a grill for the same time turning half way through.)
6. Serve with burger buns and salad.

Offline tulip

• Tatw Pum Munud
Re: Porty's Guide To BBQ Cooking
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 May 2009, 1655 »
May i say how very good they look, they would be great to washed down with an ice-cold pint of pear cider... Ah BBQ when done well is a real winner.... Lobster tials and Seabass are a real winner... Also wild Sea-Trout.... Mmmmmmmmmmm.....   8)
Darogan Mertin Dyuad Breyenhin o Gymru werin o gamhwri. Dywawd derwyton dadeni haelon o hil Eryri...

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 2009, 1815 »
I would like to complain about the smell from Porty's BBQ.

I sent my man over half an hour ago and he has not yet returned. I hope you are not leading him astray.

[No mustard on mine by the way.}
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 May 2009, 2025 »
Top tips there Porty.  Another useful tip is to inform the Fire Brigade in advance of your barbeque, especially if you're a novice barbequeueuer (like Porty).  They can then be on standby in case there are any left overs.  I am of course joking, don't call the Fire Brigade in advance or you may get a sound ticking off (like Porty).

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 May 2009, 2046 »
Thanks im trying to help but you lot just mock me.

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 2009, 1333 »
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is highlighting the importance of ensuring that barbecues are extinguished and disposed of properly following a fire in Overton, Wrexham yesterday.

Firefighters from Wrexham were called to the property in Lightwood Green, Overton at 11.26pm on Saturday, 30th June.

A barbecue had been placed in a plastic bin which ignited a shed and the fire spread to the lean to of the house.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 2009, 1549 »
And the sausages were still not cooked through properly.
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 May 2009, 1720 »
We love a birrof a bbq we do yeah.
Patty makes his own kebabs with chicken, peppers, pineapples and red onions. Also tasty: lay a piece of salmon on some silver foil - lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle some mint and some basil onnit then add some chopped spring onions - wrap it up in the foil and lay on the bbq until it's cooked - lovely irris yeah.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 May 2009, 2012 »
I left the preping to Mrs Porty i was in charge of the fire head chef Porty did a fab job so far no trips to the toilet only after the lager very full now feel like having a nap.

Offline Llaingoch

• The Housewives Favourite.
  • Administrator
  • I'll get you CL's, you see if I don't.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 2009, 1330 »
Patty makes his own kebabs with chicken, peppers, pineapples and red onions. Also tasty: lay a piece of salmon on some silver foil - lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle some mint and some basil onnit then add some chopped spring onions - wrap it up in the foil and lay on the bbq until it's cooked - lovely irris yeah.

I tried to follow Reenie's tips with the following results.

I don't like pineapples so I used a banana instead. I only had normal onions, so I coloured them red with a marker pen. I didn't have any olives oil, so I used  butter, I used Polos as the mints, I don't like salmon so I used tuna and I have no idea what a 'basil' is.
The resulting mess not only looked horrible, it tasted horrible aswell.

BBQ's uffar.
Accountant / Receptionist / Housewife botherering world champion.

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 2009, 1617 »

I tried to follow Reenie's tips with the following results.

I don't like pineapples so I used a banana instead. I only had normal onions, so I coloured them red with a marker pen. I didn't have any olives oil, so I used  butter, I used Polos as the mints, I don't like salmon so I used tuna and I have no idea what a 'basil' is.
The resulting mess not only looked horrible, it tasted horrible aswell.

BBQ's uffar.

Well at least you gave it a go yeah doll!  Gaviscon?

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 June 2009, 2134 »
Also tasty: lay a piece of salmon on some silver foil - lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle some mint and some basil onnit then add some chopped spring onions - wrap it up in the foil and lay on the bbq until it's cooked - lovely irris yeah.

We've done fresh Mackrel a similar way: just top and tail it - and gut of course - then leave it whole; shouldn't need much oil as it's an oily fish anyway; add herbs spices to suit (everyone likes something different - awkward g*ts), wrap it in the foil and let it cook. unwrap after 20 mins and attack with fork. you should find the fish will easily come away from the bone. As you CLs would say, lush!
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 June 2009, 2143 »
I'll just add re: barbecue fuel: Proper charcoal is easier to light but burns out quickly, the brickettes are more difficult but burn much longer. we use a mixture.

The instant light charcoal is brilliant if you want to get things going quickly, but it is laced with white spirit or jack danniels or something to help it, so it can smoke quite a bit.

Anybody who uses one of those gas powered things: Why bother? Might as well cook on the stove in the kitchen instead!

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1318 »
Thanks im trying to help but you lot just mock me.

I know Porty, they're mean buggers.  Do they not realise that you're now writing your advice on none other than the BBC website itself (under the pseudonym of Sybil Kapoor)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_bbqbasics1.shtml

Does it count for nothing that you even have a spot on BBC's Saturday Kitchen, under the stage name of Dan Green?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/spicybeefburger_71357.shtml

Take no notice of 'em Porty, I think you should be proud of your unique recipes and advice.
Even now
My thought is clinging as to a lost learning
Slipped down out of the minds of men,
Labouring to bring her back into my soul.

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1415 »
Porty got busted! ;D

Offline tulip

• Tatw Pum Munud
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1449 »
Well Well looks like Porty Burgers probably come from Tesco.....  ::)
Darogan Mertin Dyuad Breyenhin o Gymru werin o gamhwri. Dywawd derwyton dadeni haelon o hil Eryri...

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1451 »
I bet he makes them his own by adding a splash of red wine to the mix.

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1453 »
What?  You mean Porty DIDN'T do those recipes all by himself?   I need a sit down and a glass of water.
Even now

Offline tulip

• Tatw Pum Munud
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1457 »
Fairplay he did probably give Mrs Porty a lift to the shops to get a fine selection from the freezer department....

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1507 »
I'm sorry Porty, it looks as if my well-meaning attempts to stop people being mean to your recipe stuff has completely backfired. 
Even now

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1552 »
The Admin on here are nothing but twits and fools i can't even get a word in fools.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1617 »
Are the Tesco burgers laid by free range cows?

Offline tulip

• Tatw Pum Munud
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1642 »
Best ask Porty......  ;)

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 1659 »
The Admin on here are nothing but twits and fools i can't even get a word in fools.

Porty ain't getting' on no plane!
Even now