Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what are the worst  (Read 27427 times)

Offline Anchee

• Tatw Pum Munud
Re: what are the worst
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 March 2010, 2127 »
 :-[ Burnt a pan of soup yesterday.

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 March 2010, 1631 »
Did yoeat it ;Du

Offline Llaingoch

• The Housewives Favourite.
  • Administrator
  • I'll get you CL's, you see if I don't.
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 April 2010, 1556 »
I'll tell you what the most horriblest dinner or tea would be..... fish with tomatoes on it.
Accountant / Receptionist / Housewife botherering world champion.

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 0817 »
Llainy, the trick is to put the fish on top of the tomatoes.  Seemples.

Offline bunnyears2

• Peas Water
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 April 2010, 1134 »
As a newlywed(in the 80's)  I had no idea that a frozen chicken had to be defrosted and washed before cooking. (You can see where this is going, can't you?) After about three hours on slow cook, out came dinner-cooked to almost perfection! On closer inspection, however, it was realised that the giblets had also been left inside, ugh! Thank goodness that put DH and I off immediately as we both could have suffered worse consequences!  I led a sheltered life as you can tell and never had to cook until the day I left home. Learnt a lot since that though! :P

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 April 2010, 1921 »
Cant say I have :D :D ;)

Offline Tecsyn

• The Sheriff
  • Lob Scows
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 0937 »
Just after we got married, I tried cooking coq au vin. Except I didn't have any vin, which at the time was something people who called their sofa's settees drank. I had already bought two chicken portions, so, committed to the endeavour now, I scoured around till I found a leftover bottle of homemade scrumpy. This beverage was as 'rough' as 'saloon bar at the Stack' is to 'cocktail bar' at the TB Hotel. So rough in fact that it could power my moped, and stand-in as a firelighter when McLeans was closed. It was also a kind of hazy amber colour, not red, as in vin rouge. After a bit of head scratching I chucked it in the pan with the chicken, and there was such a fizzing, bubbling reaction that I half-expected the chicken to dissolve. Five minutes later, when the room cleared a bit the chicken was still there and the smell was pure ethanol.. but, it wasn't red. Another foray through the cupboards, and jubilation! No, not settee drinkers brew but a bottle of red food colouring. Unsure how much to use I just tipped the whole bottle in, stuck on the lid and left it simmering. Mrs T comes in -

"What's for tea then?"
"Er, coq au vin"
"Ooh, sounds nice, where d'you get the wine?"
"Errm, err, I think it's ready now"

I produced two plates with bright scarlet chicken portions. I swear I've never seen anything like it, even from the Indian. It kind of tasted okay, for the first culinary efforts of a 19 year-old, and Mrs T didn't say anything...

Offline Gribbie

• Administrator
  • That's my treat shorty!
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 0939 »
 ;D Great tale!
Cybi Leader Sws List
Everyone :-)

Offline bunnyears2

• Peas Water
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 1008 »
 ;D Ha ha brilliant!

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 1236 »
Did you make it again?   :D

Offline Tecsyn

• The Sheriff
  • Lob Scows
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 1334 »
Did you make it again?   :D

It's now known as 'Coq-up sans vin' and no, I haven't tried it since! Maybe I'll recreate the dish for our next anniversary ;D

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 1337 »
It's now known as 'Coq-up sans vin'
:D

Offline bunnyears2

• Peas Water
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 1458 »
My Mother in-Law just told me a good one. Back in the 70's , she a baked a sponge cake for her sons birthday- perfectly golden brown and springy to the touch. She put this to one side after icing the top layer and continued with the rest of the birthday boy's goodies for his party.  Just before the little guests arrived, M.I.L filled the birthday cake with that newfangled canned aerosol  squirty cream. Party went well and the time came to sing the Birthday song and make wishes blowing out the candles. Shock horror -of course the "cream" has disintergrated and the top layer must have slid off, allowing Fluff the cat a treat of sponge and blue icing! Never will she live that down and is cited jokingly that it amounted to cruelty and humiliation for the birthday boy!