Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Today is.....  (Read 9335 times)

Offline nanon

• Other
Re: Today is.....
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 December 2011, 1921 »
Same here Nooks, thats what I think it is but could be wrong.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 28 December 2011, 2257 »
Without cheating and consulting Wiki. I vaguely recall being told it was something to do with the master and mistresses of the house making a belated Christmas meal for the servants and giving them 'Christmas Boxes'. Could be way out on that though.

I always thought it was similar,  but the 'family' giving the remains of the Xmas feast etc to the servants in a box and giving them the day off (the only one they got in a year) to take to their families so they could revel in the delights of yesterday's stale food.

Online Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 29 December 2011, 0033 »
Could well be, at least it's a lot closer than a duck and a goose kissing, especially when they'd both be well dead and almost eaten by now. :D
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 29 December 2011, 0904 »
Did somebody mention a duck and a goose, kissing?
Even now
My thought is clinging as to a lost learning
Slipped down out of the minds of men,
Labouring to bring her back into my soul.

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 29 December 2011, 1420 »
I've just been to Bangor to get Mrs Baz's Christmas present, I was amazed how quiet it was.
Loud presents aren't always the best.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 29 December 2011, 1423 »
I've just been to Bangor to get Mrs Baz's Christmas present, I was amazed how quiet it was.
Loud presents aren't always the best.

ha ha ha ! Mab you're on good form today  ;D

Online Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 2038 »
Not sure if I should list this here or in the 'Bizarre Blog', but apparently today was "No Trousers on the Tube day"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6965874/Commuters-bare-underwear-on-No-Trousers-Day.html

Anybody spot Llainy's undercrackers?

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 2045 »
No, but one or two smelled them!   :D

Offline nanon

• Other
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 2052 »
 ;D ;D

Online Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 25 January 2012, 1543 »
Today, or tonight rather, is Burns Night. The annual celebration of the birth of Scottish poet and bard, Robert (Rabbie) Burns, So it's kilts on, arm oneself with bagpipes, and time to go searching the mountain to see if Welsh Haggis also exist.

Note that Haggis have longer legs on one side, so chasing them around the mountain can only be achieved in one direction.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 25 January 2012, 1718 »
Today, or tonight rather, is Burns Night. The annual celebration of the birth of Scottish poet and bard, Robert (Rabbie) Burns, So it's kilts on, arm oneself with bagpipes, and time to go searching the mountain to see if Welsh Haggis also exist.

Note that Haggis have longer legs on one side, so chasing them around the mountain can only be achieved in one direction.

It is also St Dwynwens Day. I've already sent a card to the Cybi leaders....  :-*

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 25 January 2012, 2235 »
Don't forget the skien dubh and whiskey so you cn stab the haggis and then drink a toast to it.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #60 on: Friday 27 January 2012, 1603 »
Unless, of course, they run backwards.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #61 on: Friday 27 January 2012, 1654 »
Unless, of course, they run backwards.

Don't be silly my friend. Haggis don't have a reverse gear.

Well known fact that.
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #62 on: Friday 27 January 2012, 1731 »
Oh.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #63 on: Friday 27 January 2012, 1801 »

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: Friday 27 January 2012, 2039 »
Holocaust Memorial Day

:'(

I once hosted a gentleman by the name of Leon Greenman - survivor and author of 'An Englishman In Auschwitz'.  Dead now,  but a tireless campaigner against the far-Right.

Bless you Leon - and we will never forget.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/leon-greenman-english-survivor-of-auschwitz-793671.html
« Last Edit: Friday 27 January 2012, 2049 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 28 January 2012, 1630 »
He must have been a brave and determined man.  He fought for a good cause.  Let's hope we can continue building the road towards his goal.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 28 January 2012, 2231 »
He must have been a brave and determined man.  He fought for a good cause.  Let's hope we can continue building the road towards his goal.

He was a surprising man mab.  Only small in stature, quietly spoken, polite - but very very insistent that you tolerated the far-Right at your peril.  Even as an old man he had no fear of the far-Right's street gangs despite threats tro his person and even attacks on him and his home.   Griffin has been particularly scathing of him in public several times.    He even had the serial number on his arm.  Despite his personal accounts (and the haunted look in his eyes as he told them),  that tattoo was by far and away the most chilling thing - I've only ever seen one in real life, his.  But believe me for something so simple when you see one for real and you know what it means it sends your blood cold.

Also , in the early nineties I was garrisioned in Fallingbostel (near a town called Walrode mid-way betwen Hamburg and Hannover).  No big deal other than 8 miles away was Belsen - the first camp to be found by the western allies and chillingly described by Richard Dimbleby.  In addition,  the recce unit that found it contained a certain Dirk Bogarde - who would subsequently never remain in a room alone with a German for the rest of his life,  and coincidentally a regular of one of my former pubs - a bloke called Dougie who wore a Star of David necklace for the rest of his life as a mark of respect for what he found.

Went there a couple of times - very eerie (http://tinyurl.com/3n85j6).   Just a museum now with a continual narration firstly in English, then Dutch, then German.  The ledger open at the page Ann Frank was recorded on (kept very meticulous records did them Germans - to their undoing).   The camp itself no longer exists - just row after row of long mounds/ barrows with a little plaque on each one - Here Lies 10,000.  Never again.   Here lies 5,000. Never again.   Literally row after row. The British troops made the guards dig up and re-bury all the dead properly.  The local population were also rounded up and forced  - every man woman and child, to walk throgh the camp and see.  It was also filmed by the British Army and towns further away were made to go to cinemas and watch it.  It led to some serious attacks on the German population in Minden when the troops took offence to Germans laughing at the film.  Loads of Dutch number plated coaches in the car park full of very old Dutch jews - Belsen was predominantly Dutch Jews, in particular jewellers because of their skills in intricate work.  Walrode - the town a few miles away,  is where some technical components for the V2 were built (the main street is still called Werner von Braun Strasse) and it was the jewellers that built parts of the guidance system. 

Just down from it is a massive soviet memorial.  There was a huge soviet POW camp there. They were treated as a lower life form than even jews.  On Remembrance Sunday the Fallingbostel garrison lays a wreath on their memorial/
« Last Edit: Sunday 29 January 2012, 0928 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 29 January 2012, 0938 »
Thanks for these contributions on HMD Che which I have greatly appreciated reading. Despite repeated studies of the holocaust I never cease to be astonished at mans inhumanity to man.... back then and also in world events today. We must never forget what happened. I am greatly disappointed that HMD is not given more prominence in the news headlines.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 29 January 2012, 1245 »
Thanks for these contributions on HMD Che which I have greatly appreciated reading. Despite repeated studies of the holocaust I never cease to be astonished at mans inhumanity to man.... back then and also in world events today. We must never forget what happened. I am greatly disappointed that HMD is not given more prominence in the news headlines.
Believe it or not Baz my uncle writes books about the history of Manchester Jews and lectures on Jewish history at Manchester.  He's also the archivist for the Jewish Museum in Cheetham Hill in Manchester.

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 29 January 2012, 1552 »
Today is national bicycle day
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Carnedyr

• Administrator
    • Caergybi FC
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 08 February 2012, 1918 »
the second week of the month of the second month of the year of the second month of the decade of the second millenium.
while we have time let us do good

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 08 February 2012, 2113 »
My Birthday!