Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Crime Hotspot of Anglesey Is.......  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Last Edit: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2051 by Baz »

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
Re: The Crime Hotspot of Anglesey Is.......
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2135 »
Not living there, I can't base an opinion on actual facts. I do know that reading this as a "visitor" it's put me off. I also let our eldest read some of it earlier and he was very surprised because his Holyhead experiences, based on visiting Nainy, are very different.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2149 »
I've never had problems, neither has anyone else I know. I think its a bit overdramatic to call it a "crime hotspot" considering theres only around 2 large towns on Anglesey.

Offline Porty

• Other
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2203 »
I blame the Holyhead & Anglesey mail for trying to sex up the story just to sell more copies.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2245 »
Well it's probably true.  Population density across the island would suggest that crime and criminals are more likely to be found where the most people are - Holyhead.   Then given that an awful lot of crime is related to poverty levels etc and that would further reinforce it.

But that has to be tempered with the fact that in comparison to the inner cities of England and South Wales,  not a lot happens here and Holyhead might be the worst on Anglesey,  but even so it's still a very very safe place to live with a laughably low crime rate.

Look at the front pages of NWDP and HAM - the Welsh clan.   Pretty mickey-mouse in comparison to parts of Liverpool and Manchester.

When I moved here from Oldham for instance,  my car insurance more than halved even though I now park on a road and there I parked in a locked garage.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Administrator
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 2355 »
Aye Che, it's all relative. There's more crime in Holyhead than in Mona, but there's more crime in Manchester than in Holyhead - and if you take population into account I guess the same would still be true.

Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline llaingochion

• Gravy
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1105 »
I think it is well out of order to have used a photo of Gleesons public house to run with this story on the front page of the H + A mail,as there is never any trouble there.I think a printed apology and explanation is due.
Karma waiting around every corner.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1156 »
Bad order. Get the landlady on it.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline llaingochion

• Gravy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1327 »
She's Rightly Furious,and on the case.
Karma waiting around every corner.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1342 »
She's Rightly Furious,and on the case.

Goodo. Tell her I love her and we've got her back  ;)

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1817 »
Thanks for all the comments. I totally disagree with the news article. I was born in Holyhead and have lived here for 32 years out of my 41 and, apart from having my car stereo nicked in 1990, have never been a victim of a crime or witnessed one.  >:(

Offline The Prying I

• Pint of Mixed
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 2012, 1824 »
I happened to be in the Magistrate's Court earlier and they were all Joskins bar a couple of lads from Town.

The Mail are spoon fed stories by the authorities and would not be surprised if they got their figures from the Magistrate's Court which would not give a true reflection of the crime figures in Town.
Hooray for Holyhead.

Offline Holborn_Toad

• Peas Water
  • Ranting since 1974.
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 2012, 1103 »
Holyhead is the largest town on the island so of course it'll have more crime, in the same way London has more crime than Liverpool. I'm shocked they used a photo of the Gleesons, I've been going there for over 20 years and never seen anything worse than a good natured argument over the choice of music on the jukebox!

Offline Carnedyr

• Other
    • Caergybi FC
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 March 2012, 1214 »
Stats can be manipulated to show anything, it's that someone has enough time on their hands to do this? And yes we are paying for them to count crap. Maybe they could do something more useful would be an improvement.
while we have time let us do good

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 March 2012, 1310 »
Absolutely right, they have to divide the figure by population for it to be true, and even then (as was pointed out by JE himself) we have a lot of people going through the port that won't even be counted in the population. In fact there are a lot more people going through Holyhead than most towns of a similar size.

Why can't the Post do 10 mins of gathering real data to get a sense of perspective?

Jan 2012

Where: Number (Crime + ASBO), Rate (per 1000 people)
Holyhead
town centre: 50, 46.51
Porthyfelin:11, 4.77
Morawelon: 24, 15.45
London Rd:31, 20.71

Llangefni: 15, 10.52
Bangor [Deiniol(Gwynedd North) - "MaesYG"]: 90, 66.27
Aberystwyth: 158, 17.55
Newport [Stow Hill]:307, 68.94
Cardiff [city centre]: 737, 43.81

Manchester City [centre]: 1186, 81.39
London Strand and Whitehall: 498, 220.55
London Peckham: 153, 13.44
Birmingham [City Centre]: 490, 174.38
Liverpool [city centre]: 911, 63.29
Leeds [City & Holbeck]: 1140, 98.21
Reading [Central]: 413, 233.99
Never mind the ylang ylang

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 March 2012, 1449 »

Why can't the Post do 10 mins of gathering real data to get a sense of perspective?

What?? And give us news items based on facts rather that poorly considered opinion and half digested statistics?? ;D

In contrast to what has been said about population/poverty when I first moved down to London (in Ninteen sixty gonk) I lived for some time in Notting Hill. Even though this was just after the NH "race" riots I felt safer haunting the pubs and clubs there than I had done on many a HH Saturday night.
Not waiting for the others.

Offline justme

• Gravy
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 2012, 2158 »
Holyhead is no worse than anywhere else. I have lived here all of my life, and have always felt safe here. I was talking to a young man in work last week, he shares rented accomodation in Holyhead, he was laughing when he said '' I was told Holyhead could be a bit rough, but I'm from f***ing Glasgow!! It's lovely here, and I'm able to go to any pub for a pint and no aggro!! ''