Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's Holyhead Like Right Now?  (Read 92243 times)

Offline God

• Pint of Mixed
What's Holyhead Like Right Now?
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 November 2005, 1230 »
The place that's now used by the Scouts (not the one directly opposite the laundry but the one on that square) was an abbatoir and a soup kitchen, apparently. Not sure if it was both at the same time, like, but hey.
"The fall of communism is an undeniable proof of the existence of God"

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 November 2005, 2136 »
Where's that then? I know the one next to the branche, opp the launderette. Then there's the Brownie hut at the top of Treaddur Square, can't think of anywhere else tho - enlighten ole Reenz would ya doll?

At the top of Maeshyfryd Road, it was a shop of sorts, looked like some kind of storage area with big paned windows. Just on the curve towards Forcer Hill. What's that now then?

Forcer Hill, is that still a dossie dreggie place with nasty old bedsits, or did they finally restore those beautiful houses?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 November 2005, 2229 »
Head down Cambaria Street, just round the bend from the Cambaria on the right and before the back lane to the car park is a gate. Behind that gate is said cub scout yard. (No 1 troop is opposite the launderette, No2 is behind it . . . or they were when I was a little younger)  You can get to the back door of No2 down the lane opposite British Stores (which deserves a thread on here in its own right)
"The housecat may mock the tiger," said the master, "but doing so will not make his purr into a roar."

http://www.ipromoservices.com/products/Flower%20Database/id/1072/cat/L

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 December 2005, 1627 »
The lights are up on Market Street and have been for a few days.

Does anyone remember the Christmas tree outside Jambo's and in front of the telephone kiosks? I recall carolling there on the night the lights were turned on. It used to be lovely, little donkeying your way around the massive fir, with awed gasps in between parumpapum pums. Rousing squeaks of we three kings and home via Price's for tea yeah !!

Ah Nostalgia
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline lostoflondon

• Curry Sauce
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 December 2005, 1920 »
Hiya dolls - am back but only for 5 muned.  

Ah the good old Christmas tree - every year someone tried to climb it!  It's up there in my memory chart along with where's the best place to get a snog at New Year's Eve - outside the Rosie or outside the Stanley.  Missed out on many because of the to..ing and fro...ing between the two.  Hee hee - Holyhead at Xmas/New year - oh I miss it so much.  My mates are all going out on the 23rd because that's when MEM closes (true?)  - am getting text messages inviting me along -  think the new trains would get me there and back so I'd get away with telling the boss I'd been on a long lunch?????
Maybe tomorrow I'll find my way home.........knowing Virgin it'll be via Preston/Manchester/Liverpool tho'

Offline chris_nwales

• Gravy
  • Ali Honk go home
    • http://www.rowfordough.co.uk
Christmas Tree
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 December 2005, 1301 »
I remember the xmas tree outside Jambo's, that was not that many years ago (as I am only young :-)  ) and I remember Mark Hodgson climbing it and putting a pair of some young ladies knickers on top of  it. Strange the things that stick in your mind aint it.
We Are Google, You Will Be Assimilated.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 December 2005, 1056 »
It's up there in my memory chart along with where's the best place to get a snog at New Year's Eve

Ah Yes , selective snogging. Going up Thomas street from the 79 to the Branche I once collected 5 - twas a merry little christmas :)
My mates are all going out on the 23rd because that's when MEM closes

link to is MEM, Eatons?

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 December 2005, 1722 »
Quote from: Reenie
is MEM, Eatons?

Seems to be, aye
"The housecat may mock the tiger," said the master, "but doing so will not make his purr into a roar."

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 December 2005, 0020 »
Quote from: Bolsachian
There's a new hobby in HH now.  Driving round Tesco carpark without your lights on in the dark, and not signalling at the roundabouts.  

That was the advantage of shopping at E.B.Jones or the Maypole - no car park.
Is the standard question following any accident "Didn't you see me not signal then? I always turn here dunn aye yeah?"
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Trefignath

• Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 December 2005, 2019 »
What?  No sign saying :arrow:"This way to see the tree"??

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 December 2005, 1221 »
You can probably only get money from the European Festive Season Improvement Scheme for lights and trees if it appeals to people from away and can entice them into the town centre, same as money from the European Useless Bridges Scheme.  ;)  Maybe its also a European directive that means the tree has to be behind a wall.

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 December 2005, 2227 »

Regs on CG.Com, stick with me with these random posts!  They're linked to the home page, and I'm trying to ramble enough to encourage a few google hits! :roll:

Talking about that, googlebot's been visiting every 1 or 2 days.  We're still at four hundred and something for the search term 'Holyhead' but we're number one for 'Pont Trip', number five for 'Holyhead demonstration' (good to have a topical and oft-changing front page), number one for 'ash ghani', number five for 'gwyneth ryder' and the list goes on.  Some of its from the front page, some from the encyclopedia etc etc.  Of course, we are number one for 'what's holyhead like right now'  :D

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 December 2005, 2247 »
You'd be surprised the weird and wonderful things people search for . . . :)

(I've blurred referrers where its clear that I've used this webspace to store images that I have used as avatars on other sites etc ;)  ).
As you can see, we do very well from search engines, mainly Google though.  Anything where it says 'webmail' or 'showletter' is usually where people have emailed a link to this site to someone or have a link in their automatic signature.  The referrals from 'powerswitch.org.uk are from someone making a link to the aerial view of Ynys Cybi from that forum. People searching for a site name have either been told of the site by word of mouth or don't know how to use favourites / bookmarks in their browsers :)

Remember that these are the stats for 9 days, not for a whole month.

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 10 December 2005, 2302 »
Ah, we've got a strict 'no advertising' rule here.  The only thing we'll advertise is Firefox and things like Splash for Cash etc.  Even if we made money, it wouldn't be mine to see as it's not my money pays for the domain name and bandwidth  ;)

Oh, and we won't advertise your house for sale . . .

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 December 2005, 1350 »
Do you want them on the forum or in the galleries on the main part of the site?

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 December 2005, 1403 »
Ah, you need to host them elsewhere then link to them from here.  If you want, you can either upload them to the site using the upload page ( http://www.caergybi.com/picupload.php ) or email them to me ( cod@nameofthissite ) and I'll host them here and send you a private message with the links to the photos.

Offline Trefignath

• Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 December 2005, 1437 »
Nice thought Det.
Will we need to put on our shades before viewing?

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 December 2005, 0849 »
........waiting excitedly..................  :lol:

Offline Rev. Sparky

• Pint of Mixed
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 December 2005, 1227 »
Everybody is too busy panic buying at Tesco's to look at Christmas lights :-) My wife (a Tesco employee) got an earbashing by irate shoppers cos the milk ran out- don't shoot the messenger yeah?

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 24 December 2005, 1633 »
I went shopping yesterday to Sainsbury's.  Never again, it was horrific.  The shelf stackers were having difficulty keeping up with the stuff going off the shelves and tempers were short.   I want to go away for Christmas next year.

:santa

Offline Fishcrimps

• Peas Water
    • http://www.calahondaapartments.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 03 January 2006, 1237 »
Well with speeches like that I have only one thing to say..... Bolsachian  for Mayor..
Based on the threads by other eminent members of this site I feel that we should all have a say, as to who else we want to rule the Republic of Holyhead.
Detective as Chief Constable....etc etc
Whats green and gets you P**sed? Giro!
www.calahondaapartments.co.uk

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 03 January 2006, 1641 »
Definitely :)

Offline God

• Pint of Mixed
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 03 January 2006, 1850 »
I was hoping for a theocracy, tbh...
"The fall of communism is an undeniable proof of the existence of God"

Offline Trefignath

• Administrator
  • Back Again.
Re: What's Holyhead Like Right Now?
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 January 2006, 2222 »
Right now there's not a breath of wind blowing in Holyhead and nevvy blue it's cold mabi del i's.

Obviously the kind of night that Jack in the Dublin would have described as having  "more running noses than standing dicks."

...those Sunday nights before school all those years ago. Radio Luxembourg or Manx Radio on the wireless while you have your bath and wash your hair.Then downstairs in your pyjamas for leftover cinio dy sul ...

Downstairs? Luxury! We had to have our weekly ablutions in the backkitchin  in a zinc bath that normally hung on a hook in the cefn, followed by a bechdan brown-sauce if we were lucky...