Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please sign here, here, here, here and here. Ok a click will do!  (Read 1482 times)

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
When I first started my on line surfing journey back in 1995 most of the web was it's it's early days. For the novice it was an avenue or way of communication to be learned. So I learned. I learned the basics and don't claim to be an expert now. You won't find me in techie corner much, except on the lookout for assistance. I can perform adequately enough that I'm content with my useage of a computer, on or offline.
During these times of learning I've also been very active away from the pc. I've lost count of the meetings or demos I've attended to share concerns or raise issues.
Myself and others have an understanding of 'head counts' when it comes to being noticed at certain places at certain times. However, recent calls from a wide range of individuals and groups, to others, to sign on line petitions to help prevent or object to various issues has got me thinking. I've been pondering putting this out to the on-line public for sometime. Indeed, the subject only concerns those on-line. Us surfers. Us forum members, on-line friends, internet users.

Some questions. Have we convinced ourselves that clicking the mouse or banging a few keys on our pc's whilst in the comfort of our own homes is going to change anything?Do we sleep soundly knowing we've filled in the required areas?
Did we do it right? Did we get the authorisation code correct. Will they send confirmation of my time spent on the petition or page or site? Will anyone know I've spent this time doing what I did? Oh crap, will my name be publicised(as in stolen and used by local rags to add a "so and so commented on the so and so site/page. I've lost count of how many times the ham and chron have used online comments in the printed version). Maybe I shouldn't have clicked and added details.

At present there are roughly ten petitions circulating in my web world. Each one started by someone with a grievance or other. I'm not naming any but most on here have seen the most of them in the past few months. And their numbers are growing. There's little and/or lack of any executive coordination with the majority of these spur of the moment online gatherings. Whilst the overall intentions or aims are well meant they soon become historical online visits and are very quickly deleted from the average viewers mind or favourites box. I've done it myself. I'd be lying if I was to deny it. I've actually reached the stage whereby I don't even read them. They are junk to me. Adverts with no products at the end. What about you? Will being the 700th person to click a box make any difference to those hidden away and making the real offline decisions? Will you get off the chair when the diggers start digging? Would you show how much the issues mean when the time comes to use the human body to stop something. I can't hear your voice on here so you'll need to write your answers down. APPARENTLY THIS IS SHOUTING AS FAR AS SURFING OR CONTRIBUTING ONLINE IS CONCERNED. What a load of tosh.

So there we have it. Bit long? Yes. But it's a subject which I couldn't edit easily. Fill ya boots.

It is what it is........innit?

Offline Rascal

• Administrator
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
Re: Please sign here, here, here, here and here. Ok a click will do!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1033 »
Have we convinced ourselves that clicking the mouse or banging a few keys on our pc's whilst in the comfort of our own homes is going to change anything?
At present there are roughly ten petitions circulating in my web world.

Do we sleep soundly knowing we've filled in the required areas?
I can perform adequately enough that I'm content with my useage of a computer, on or offline.

Did we do it right? Did we get the authorisation code correct.
You won't find me in techie corner much, except on the lookout for assistance

Will they send confirmation of my time spent on the petition or page or site?
I've actually reached the stage whereby I don't even read them. They are junk to me. Adverts with no products at the end.

Will anyone know I've spent this time doing what I did?
they soon become historical online visits and are very quickly deleted from the average viewers mind or favourites box. I've done it myself.

Oh ****, will my name be publicised(as in stolen and used by local rags to add a "so and so commented on the so and so site/page.
It doesn't matter if they do, you do not own your own name, the Government does.

I  my  I I me I I'm my I've I've I've Myself me I've my I've I my I've I my I'm I've myself I'd I I've I I I
Adverts with no products at the end.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1043 »
I  my  I I me I I'm my I've I've I've Myself me I've my I've I my I've I my I'm I've myself I'd I I've I I I
what a needle end. How else does one ask oneself questions?

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1129 »
Do people, if they have some sort of grievance,  believe all they have to do is sign petitions online? I don't think so.

The internet is a communications tool, very much like the phone (and other things before), just more advanced.

As a means of passing on information, it's the best thing we have. As a means of direct action, it's quite useless. However, people need to be informed before they can act. Without information, there can't be any action.
Never mind the ylang ylang

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1150 »
Do people, if they have some sort of grievance,  believe all they have to do is sign petitions online? I don't think so.
And your perfectly entitled to do so.

The internet is a communications tool, very much like the phone (and other things before), just more advanced.
Agreed, but it's much more than that. Much more. Do you think they'd be ten petition starters phoning you or writing to you for your signature if the net wasn't around?

As a means of passing on information, it's the best thing we have. As a means of direct action, it's quite useless. However, people need to be informed before they can act. Without information, there can't be any action.
Well I'm not with you all the way on this. Historically, without mass communications, information has found a way of travelling across the globe. It may have been slower but the principle is the same. I suppose it's "word of mouth". As for direct action, it's a quality tool. Check out Anonymous. Governments/oppressors all over the world have felt the direct action from the internet.

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1233 »
Quote from: Ben 10

Agreed, but it's much more than that. Much more. Do you think they'd be ten petition starters phoning you or writing to you for your signature if the net wasn't around?

Yes, radio and TV, and print have always been good too. The last thing I got involved in was started by a mum handing out flyers outside a local co-op.

Well I'm not with you all the way on this. Historically, without mass communications, information has found a way of travelling across the globe. It may have been slower but the principle is the same. I suppose it's "word of mouth". As for direct action, it's a quality tool. Check out Anonymous. Governments/oppressors all over the world have felt the direct action from the internet.

I'm well aware. It's as I stated - action follows information.
« Last Edit: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1407 by gazza »

Offline Rascal

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1248 »

Yes, radio and TV, and print have always been good too. The last thing I got involved in was started by a mum handing out flyers outside a local co-op.

Examples of this are Sports Relief, Comic Relief and the Band Aid/Live Aid/Live 8 campaigns. And the Jarrow March was undertaken long before the internet was available in homes.
Remember when the BMX track petition went door to door in Holyhead?

The internet cannot be used for direct action, only indirect action. Emails, online posting are easily ignored, deleted or changed to suit. For example "I've actually reached the stage whereby I don't even read them. They are junk to me. Adverts with no products at the end." So if they are that unimportant to the people subscribing to them and possibly entering their details, why should the people that will be making money from leisure complexes and holiday sites take any notice of them?

I'm well aware. It's as I stated - action follows information.
Agreed. This is where direct action takes place, or not. It depends on whether folk will get out there. But even then millions of people marching through London and other cities protesting about New Labour taking us into the Gulf war, were ignored. The shots really are called by the people that will be making a lot of money, by whatever means.
« Last Edit: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1441 by gazza »
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1359 »
if I'm finding difficulties with reading the above scribbles God knows how the lay person manages. Do try and make a little effort. It helps to know who's words are whos. Where they start, where they finish etc.

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1409 »
Whoops, sorry!

It started with my reply, that got messed up when I did a "reply with quote" and then modified it. I've fixed it now. Rasc, you might want to review yours.

Offline Rascal

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1425 »
Na Gazza, you are more than capable of figuring it out.

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1432 »
Na Gazza, you are more than capable of figuring it out.
::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1441 »
Done  ;)

Offline Rascal

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 2012, 1456 »
Thank you