Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 965 times)

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
Obesity
« on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1555 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-18203369

Obesity? Should she have ever been allowed to reach such weight or is it child abuse? Think how much of your well robbed earned taxes are going to pay for her support. Is she deserving? Would she be so big if she was in a prison or war camp? Questions galore on this one.

It is what it is........innit?

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
Re: Obesity
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1637 »
"Should she have ever been allowed to..."

Are you suggesting intervention by some agency of the state here??
Not waiting for the others.

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1656 »
The rest of the sentence should give you a clue. Here we go......try and shoot the messenger.......so predictable Tref. What about the thrust of the question eh?

Offline Shell

• Other
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1745 »
"Is she deserving?"  She's a human being.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1813 »
She obviously has some sort of mental illness.   She should be treated for it.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1824 »
The rest of the sentence should give you a clue. Here we go......try and shoot the messenger.......so predictable Tref. What about the thrust of the question eh?

The thrust of which question? You pose four. "Questions galore..." as you say -- most of them prevocative or emotionally charged.

And how about a reply to my question?
Not waiting for the others.

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1917 »
ok. "Are you suggesting intervention by some agency of the state here??"
No.

Offline ben 10

• Bara Brith
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 1919 »

So was/are Saddam Hussain, Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, Tommy Lloyd, Micheal Stone, Ian Huntley. Would they deserve support if they reached this weight? They're only human too.

Offline Shell

• Other
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 2118 »

So was/are Saddam Hussain, Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, Tommy Lloyd, Micheal Stone, Ian Huntley. Would they deserve support if they reached this weight? They're only human too.

Did she commit a crime?

Offline Tecsyn

• The Sheriff
  • Lob Scows
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 2218 »
It's a horrible condition, for the person concerned I mean. In cases of child obesity I really blame the parents, who should recognise the fact that their child is getting too big and modify the diet - however, that's 'ideal world' thinking. Unfortunately it doesn't require an IQ of any significance to produce children, and some parents are just intellectually challenged. I'm no expert on this issue, but I am sure there's a huge mental element as regards obesity - it is something that creeps up on people over time, and for some, I think they just give up and think 'what's the point' it's too hard to deal with. I think it takes great commitment and support to tackle obesity, and I think many can't face the challenge...

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• Lob Scows
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 May 2012, 2305 »
She lacked the support on returning to this country from the States, so in answer to at least one question; yes I think an outside agency should have been involved.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 2012, 1011 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-18203369

Obesity? Should she have ever been allowed to reach such weight or is it child abuse?

Until my children reach official adulthood, ie, at the age of 18, I consider myself morally responsible for their health and wellbeing. Therefore if I allowed my child to reach 33 stone at the age of 15 I would accept responsibility. The parents/ guardians should have done a lot more to help their child so yes, I would go as far as to suggest that this was indeed child abuse.

However I think that obesity is just one of several examples of addictions that teenagers can become enslaved to and which could result in them needing hospital treatment, for example,

Alcohol: how many teenagers drink themselves into a drunken stupor every weekend ?
Drugs: how many teenagers get high on waccy baccy, e tablets, cocaine etc etc ?
Boy Racing: as a 17 year old new driver I am ashamed to say I was addicted to my car and risked my life and the lives of others by my irresponsible driving. I see the same trends today.

The difference with obesity is that the evidence of the addiction is clear to all.

I know a number of people who battle with obesity. They might not have the most beautiful bodies but on the inside they are beautfiul people with beautiful personalities and who deserve to be treated like human beings. Yes they have unwise eating habits which may well result in them needing medical attention but many obese people, deep down, want to escape from the trap they are in and need caring support and guidance.

« Last Edit: Saturday 26 May 2012, 1053 by Baz »