Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newry Development gets green light  (Read 27000 times)

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
Newry Development gets green light
« on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 1534 »
Councillors from Llangefni's corrupt castle have given the green light although a lot of opposition still stands. I think the only way to stop it is a mass protest (bigger than the coastgaurd one) to make them see what people really think. See todays Daily Post for details
« Last Edit: Friday 01 June 2012, 1541 by 110samec »

Offline Blaster Bates

• Gravy
Re: Development to go ahead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 2155 »
Although it's probably just a formality the application hasn't yet been approved by the Planning Commitee, what is referred to is the Planning Officer's recommendation. The Planning Commitee meets next Wednesday, there are a few people going along to protest outside the council offices, meeting there at 12:00.

Blaster
Put Plenty In!!

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
Re: Development to go ahead
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 2358 »
Clarification please: Is this the Stena/Conygar one or the Land and Lakes one?
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
Re: Newry Development gets green light
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 2012, 1542 »
Sorry. Its the stena one. Title amended.

Offline abc123

• Sos coch
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 1509 »
this is horrible - just imagine walking along newry and all you get to see is the backs of apartments probably owned by holiday makers. we have had that view for decades. a lot of the towns grandparents helped build the breakwater. now that whole landscape view is going to be taken away.

why have people suddenly discovered anglesey and all its amazing coast and views and now want to build on it i.e take it over, to make money? why don't they all fcuk off and ruin somewhere else?

once it is gone it is gone.

this really is a disgrace.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 1643 »
Agreed.

"Why have people suddenly discovered Anglesey?" -- Possibly because other places have been filled up...
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• Lob Scows
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 1829 »
Perfect place for a marina, they know that and so do we. Now it needs exploiting so some faceless t*at can make some money.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2055 »
The protest was on the news last and my nan and granddad graced the screens  ;D
We don't need the development, the 500 berth marina and apartments already there aren't even full and whatever amount of jobs they say will be created won't be true. The current 500 berth marina only has 4 people running it. The money should be spent on the fish dock (which is in a disgusting state of health and safety infringement), maintaining the break and the town centre.

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2223 »
OK so apart from a few jobs how are all these cut off communities going to benefit the local people? Maybe water sports facilities fountains art shops, cafes etc etc etc might enhance growth and help and above all (include instead of trying to keep out  >:() local people more than just gated communities if they have to do such things.  ???

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2237 »
Thing is,  just like Trinity Court further along and the Victoria development in Caernarfon,  most of the apartments will be owned by people who only use then as holiday homes and as a result they are unoccupied for most of the year and therefore inject very little money into the local economy via spending. 

Then anything they may spend here,  if they spend it in a major chain such as Tesco etc,  then that isn't injected into the local economy either.

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2242 »
but will this development include local people? Will people still be able to use the facilities and have leisure time on this beach as it is used now, or will this area be closed off? If it only creates a few jobs then how will this regenrate the area as those who live there or holiday there will also shop at Tesco etc (unless they like charity shops). The main thing is, is how will this (apart from a few jobs) benefit the people? Will they still have access or not? 

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2247 »
FOR EXAMPLE

In Hull, design of public spaces is intended to ensure that all sectors of the population are included.
Design should seek to enhance local character but be flexible to respond to current needs and
changes in cultures and society. The space should feel secure so that people are encouraged to
behave in a responsible and civil manner.

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2252 »
bridging activities in regeneration programmes
 M a ke visions clear to everybody. The city’s vision for regeneration must be clear and widely
accepted both by stakeholders and ordinary citizens. The vision has to be specific both on which
c i t y-wide goals it aims to fulfil and on the objectives for urban life in the area.

Formal plans are not enough. The municipality needs to implement a wide range of strategies
even in small scale regeneration areas in order to achieve its goals. If the aim is to create a
vibrant new “mixed use” area, the vision has to be followed up with action-oriented strategies.
 Uncertainty given by rapidly ongoing marke t s.
What is forecasted to be a long-term economic
process may suddenly change to a short term process and vice-versa. Strategies need to cope with
this.

Offline orange1

• Gravy
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 June 2012, 2257 »
There are lessons that can be learned from everywhere about the mixed use of such areas, instead of looking at short term plans which may not be long term solutions. For many years local people have ensured the use of this beach and have secured their livelyhoods around such a place, there are already jobs there, in such places as the Bed and Breakfasts, so how will this benefit local people, if at all? Sorry to go on, but its a burning issue?

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 0859 »
but will this development include local people? Will people still be able to use the facilities and have leisure time on this beach as it is used now, or will this area be closed off? If it only creates a few jobs then how will this regenrate the area as those who live there or holiday there will also shop at Tesco etc (unless they like charity shops). The main thing is, is how will this (apart from a few jobs) benefit the people? Will they still have access or not?

A small part of the beach will remain and be open to te public - the rest will actually be built over.   The developers state this will not be 'gated' and the public will be allowed to access the quay and shops/restaurants etc (they would have to really,  there won't be enough full-time residents to sustain it otherwise).   The jobs thing is very dubious to say the least.    You try and nail a councillor to guarentee how many full-time year round jobs there will be once it is complete and of those, how many will be at or above the island's mean income - They have absolutely no idea and won't answer you and start blustering with 'possibly',  'might' etc etc.

Thing to do is look at what they claim along with what they claim for the Land & Lakes development and the biodigester and fishfarm.    If it's true the amount exceeds the number of unemployed on the island.

Offline Holborn_Toad

• Peas Water
  • Ranting since 1974.
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 1714 »
Not sure how to post links here so if this doesn't work hopefully someone can fix it!! I see this is the top story on the NW Wales section of the BBC news site at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-18350756

and they quote an economist from Aberystwyth University who says that:

"It's very, very difficult to argue against something that will definitely create jobs, but the problem is, I think with many developments - not just marinas - the predications of developers are very rarely tested."

He said the level of jobs proposed and then actually created had "never been tested in the case of any marina in the UK".

But he said at other similar developments, the best "have been around about half the predicted level".

Interesting. I notice as well that whoever drew the artist's impression has left out the town - unwittingly showing what they think of us hey!
« Last Edit: Friday 08 June 2012, 1718 by Holborn_Toad »

Offline Blaster Bates

• Gravy
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 2058 »
Toady,

The developers have no interest in the town whatsoever - their own traffic modelling figures show well in excess of 95% of all traffic generated by the development going nowhere near the town centre and the majority going directly to/from the A55. The only time the developers would be interested in the town centre would be if it was key factor in the marina suceeding.
The elephant in the room is that if the development succeeds it will make a small number of people/organisations vast sums of money, what the developers have to do is to build a case justifying why it should be allowed to go ahead. I am sure that they have been lobbying key people in the decision making process for a considerable time both within Welsh Government and Anglesey Council and they are fully aware of which buttons to push particularly regarding the employment situation in Holyhead. It is a tragedy that our so called elected representatives do not have the wit or intelligence to see when they are being taken for a ride.

Blaster
Put Plenty In!!

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 2143 »
A small part of the beach will remain and be open to te public 
Nice and thoughtful for the people that have always lived here.

The developers state this will not be 'gated' and the public will be allowed to access the quay and shops/restaurants etc
You will be able to come in and give us your money but then you can bog off back to town and the pathetic options open to the local divvies there

The jobs thing is very dubious to say the least. 
I will place money on it that the managerial jobs and the best paid jobs there will all go to people from outside of Holyhead.

You try and nail a councillor to guarentee how many full-time year round jobs there will be once it is complete and of those, how many will be at or above the island's mean income - They have absolutely no idea and won't answer you and start blustering with 'possibly',  'might' etc etc.
I have to disagree with you on this one mate, they know exactly how many full-time year round jobs there will be and they roughly know that the tiny amount along with the seasonal jobs will be poorly paid and that is why they will not answer you.

"It's very, very difficult to argue against something that will definitely create jobs, but the problem is, I think with many developments - not just marinas - the predications of developers are very rarely tested."

Why would you want to test something that will make a lot of rich peole richer. Mates of mates, back handers is my suspition.

But he said at other similar developments, the best "have been around about half the predicted level".
Hmmmmmmmm I think what he means is, they lie.

Interesting. I notice as well that whoever drew the artist's impression has left out the town - unwittingly showing what they think of us hey!
Not unwittingly at all, it is an absolute insult and a direct indication of how the town is neglected and what is exactly thought of the town and the inhabitants of Holyhead. I'll draw a picture of the place with litter and wee stenched shelters and comatosed youths swearing, smoking and looking in the shops with no money in their pockets.

It is a tragedy that our so called elected representatives do not have the wit or intelligence to see when they are being taken for a ride.

Taken for a ride or taken for a bribe?

IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 2222 »
A small part of the beach will remain and be open to te public 

As planned, it's a ridiculously small amount of beach. Its only the bit between mackenzie and the maritime museum/ bistro that will be left. Thats packed as it is in summer.

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 June 2012, 2241 »
Like I said, nice and thoughtful, nice and thoughtful.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 June 2012, 0919 »
It has taken millennia to create the beauty of Newry Beach in its entirety.  These basduds will have it ruined in a flash.  If the plans go ahead, I can't foresee any major, positive impact on the local economy.  All that will be left will be memories and they will soon disappear too.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 June 2012, 1141 »
Anne Kennedy:
"I've always said that these decisions are taken by professional people, long discussions, forensic questioning ..."

Question: Why not let the people it effects decide?

Answer:
"We mustn't forget that Stena owns all of the land and they are investing, effectively, in their own property.

That is the Golden Rule applies -- the people with the gold  get to make the rules so the rest of you can get stuffed.
Not waiting for the others.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 June 2012, 1259 »
"We mustn't forget that Stena owns all of the land and they are investing, effectively, in their own property.

Cop-out meaningless answer if ever there was one.   Just because you own land doesn't mean you can do what you please with it. As for 'investing' - does that mean there is no grant money involved at any stage and no tax breaks?  Because if there are, then that's actually my and your money.    Seems to me that the council are not the slightest bit interested in what the people think and are only interested in money and have yet again been dazzled by the lure of phantom jobs.  If only fishing were as easy.   

Why oh why are so many councillors on Anglesey so blatantly poor quality and so utterly under the control of business instead of the little people.    I have a sneaking suspicion (  ;) ) that this and other developments could cost a few of them their seats next year - not that they will be bothered.  Most of the ones backing this and similar (such as Penrhos) will be dead and buried before any of it's completed.
« Last Edit: Sunday 10 June 2012, 0045 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 June 2012, 2141 »

Is that why the council make everyone else have to go through planning permission? They are really hypocritical when they want to be.
« Last Edit: Saturday 09 June 2012, 2306 by 110samec »