Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newry Development gets green light  (Read 29396 times)

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
Re: Newry Development gets green light
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 19 June 2012, 2251 »
Just wonder if any of the campaigns have attempted to contact Stena directly to present their views. After all, it will be their money that's paying for it all.

There have been a lot of letters to Stena against but just one in favour and now quite a few letters against have gone to the assembly in Cardiff.

Offline Blaster Bates

• Gravy
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 20 June 2012, 2237 »
Who should we write to in Cardiff? Is it the Planning Inspectorate or Carl Sargeant?

I notice that there were a couple of good letters in the H&A Mail this week.

Blaster

Put Plenty In!!

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 1548 »
I shall find out and then post the address here when I do

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 1604 »
I wrote to the Welsh Government questioning the legal standing and legitimacy of the County Council etc etc and that in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to make any decisions at all over major planning matters until after the people of Anglesey vote in a new council in 2013.   I reproduce part of the reply (dated today so the info is current) that I receieved:-

"...You also suggested that the Welsh Government should intervene to prevent councillors from taking decisions about major construction projects, including the  Marina and Land and Lakes proposals in Holyhead. I do not think this is necessary.  The Welsh Government has already intervened to prevent councillors from taking decisions on these and other issues: the Council’s executive powers now lie with the five Commissioners appointed by the Minister in March 2011. They take most decisions which were previously taken by councillors. Although the Commissioners were appointed by the Minister and report to him on the Council’s overall recovery, they take decisions in their own right and we have no power to direct or influence them on particular issues.

You might therefore want to raise your concerns with the Commissioner responsible for economic development issues:

Alex Aldridge
Commissioner
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Swyddfa’r Sir
Llangefni
Ynys Môn
LL77 7TW
Email: commissioners@anglesey.gov.uk"

So Commisioner Alex Aldridge seems to be the man.   Because as you can see,  the Welsh Government says it's none of their business and that the council can't make any decisions anyway.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 1634 »
It was in last weeks mail that the leader of one of the Newry development opposition groups is out to get support from the Government. My granddad went up to the angling club and they said that they would make up a petition as well..
« Last Edit: Thursday 21 June 2012, 1645 by 110samec »

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #53 on: Friday 22 June 2012, 1304 »
Thanks for posting that Flip Flops, let us know the reply you get from Alex.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 24 June 2012, 1240 »
People should realise that this is the same company who said they would make 450 jobs in parc cybi. Nothings been done for years. Shows their commitment to the area  :-\

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 24 June 2012, 1717 »
People should realise that this is the same company who said they would make 450 jobs in parc cybi. Nothings been done for years. Shows their commitment to the area  :-\

I complained to the councillors about the plans to turn it into a lorry park being as it had swallowed millions in grants and even has 100Mb fibre optic internet doing nothing.   I got told that it was never designed to be a business park,  that that was just one of several suggested potential uses that it could be used for.

So basically they used up 15M (I think) in grants building something that there was no demand for, that had no end purpose and had nobody lined up to occupy.  Now they are trying to justify it as a potential lorry park - which again there is no demand for.  The lorry drivers prefer parking round Morrisons because it's right next to Morrisons and Tescos cafes,  a KFC,  within spitting distance of McDonalds and spitting distance of several pubs that have Sky TV.  So why on earth would they go and park in a field.

Think if I recall rightly what was written in the press,  that Stena floated the idea of  building warehousing but only if there are more grants available from Cardiff and claimed that it would create X number of long term jobs.  But are these on top of their Mona facility,  or will the Mona facility be closed and relocated to there and in fact there will be no net increase in jobs - which surely is all that should be counted.

Offline Carnedyr

• Administrator
    • Caergybi FC
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 24 June 2012, 1814 »
I think the most important thing here is that councillors secure grants then have the responsibility of awarding big contracts. The local area is just something that may get in the way for them.

As for the 450 jobs, I am sure there is nearly if not more than that number of kerb stones laid at Parc Cybi, so each kerb stone laid is one job, it's easy to play with words.
while we have time let us do good

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 1047 »
As for the 450 jobs, I am sure there is nearly if not more than that number of kerb stones laid at Parc Cybi, so each kerb stone laid is one job, it's easy to play with words.

This is excellent news Carnedyr.  Let's announce the immediate laying of 1500 kerbstones.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #58 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 1737 »
Would they be local kerbstones?
Not waiting for the others.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 2047 »
Within the definition of 'local'.

We'll lay them up on the Wirral.

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 1347 »
Not wishing to sound too pessimistic but how long will it be until we are laying them off again?

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1134 »
Hope that wasn't a pun in a serious thread Mab!

I have the gut feeling that none or very little of these developments will go ahead anyway. I think it is Conygars job to locate potential development sites, convince the owners they are sitting on a gold mine and enter into an agreement with them (Stena in this case), do a few posh drawings and apply for outline planning consent, which costs peanuts if done en bloc. Once the red tape is sorted, they will cost the job up properly at which point the owners will say S*d off! (seems that's what's happened at Parc Cybi). It's exactly the same with AAL/Land and Lakes.

However, any local opposition to potential development must continue to be shown as and when it be deemed necessary.

I've kept out of these discussions for the most part, as I'm not a local and really have less knowledge of the subject than most of you guys and gals. My own personal opinions are:

Parc Cybi:
Originally intended for domestic use, mainly housing with some shops, a swimming pool and a hotel, if I remember correctly. However as it seems to be realised that there was limited potential for that amount of accomodation given the lack of jobs in the area, alternate use is being sought. One possible use is industrial, which could bring jobs to the area. It's out of the way from the rest of the town and could possibly do this quite well.

Conygar/Stena
Do the developments at Porth-y-Felin. Lets face it, it needs it. Leave Newry well alone. That way it will be cheaper and less likely for the whole project to go t*ts up half way through, leaving us with two piles of earth sitting in the middle of the harbour.

AAL/Land and Lakes
Leave Penrhos well alone. Develop your Holiday Chalets on your second site near Valley instead (the one earmarked for Wylfa B workers houses as they quite sensibly would prefer to settle closer to work anyway). If any local housing is required - possibly as a result of the industrial development suggested above - then (and only then - you're wasting your money otherwise) develop the Mill Lane site.

This isn't intended to upset or annoy anybody. It's intended as food for thought only.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1144 by Nooks »
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1517 »
Perish the thought, Nooks.  It was the use of the pun to convey serious irony.

Good and interesting post of yours above, by the way.

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• Lob Scows
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1627 »
Marstons I understand are building premies just ahead of Morrisons, I understand it is a Brewers Fair, I thought that they may have been starting on the long awaited petrol station, so decided to ask a tipper driver.

Offline Carnedyr

• Administrator
    • Caergybi FC
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1638 »
Perish the thought, Nooks.  It was the use of the pun to convey serious irony.

Good and interesting post of yours above, by the way.

what I thought too Mab.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 1852 »
Marstons I understand are building premies just ahead of Morrisons, I understand it is a Brewers Fair, I thought that they may have been starting on the long awaited petrol station, so decided to ask a tipper driver.

From what I have been informed the Brewers Fayre is supposed to be under construction by now yet the site hasn't even been prepared.

Morrisons Petrol Station is supposed to be up and running by December this year

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 28 June 2012, 1816 »
As Parc cybi has cropped up, in the Daily Post theres an article about planning permission for a distribution warehouse to be built there.

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 28 June 2012, 2055 »

Thought that the petrol station had been knocked on the head.

Offline Carnedyr

• Administrator
    • Caergybi FC
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 28 June 2012, 2242 »
As Parc cybi has cropped up, in the Daily Post theres an article about planning permission for a distribution warehouse to be built there.

yes it was on the news, part of the conygar project and another 150 jobs they say.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #69 on: Friday 29 June 2012, 1027 »
Who owns Parc Cybi?
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 07 July 2012, 1610 »
Message from my nan (Pat Clarke)

"DESTRUCTION OF NEWRY BEACH AND WATERFRONT

A meeting to discuss the proposed destruction of Newry Beach and Waterfront by speculators/developers Conygar Stena will take place 7.00pm on Monday 9th July at Holyhead Sailing Club
Please give your support to save our beach and waterfront from being built upon.
Conygar Stena intends to take away the waterfront and beach, with it's many rock pools, that have been enjoyed by all ages, past and present, and destroy the waterfront for future generations
Stena have already clawed back land, demolished housing and then underdeveloped areas of the port.
Please do not let this happen on the Newry Beach and waterfront.
COME ALONG AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AGAINST THE WANTON DESTRUCTION OF THE JEWEL OF HOLYHEAD
MONDAY 9TH JULY

7.00pm

HOLYHEAD SAILING CLUB
Thank you."

Posters shall be put up in shops in town so at least people will know of meetings to take place.
Sam

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: Friday 13 July 2012, 1623 »
Thanks for posting that Flip Flops, let us know the reply you get from Alex.

I got a reply from Commissioner Aldridge's Office.    They told me that planning has been devolved back down to the councillors so I wrote back to the Assembly telling them and they responded with a promise to speak with the commisioners and clarify the exact position because that wasn't what they thought.

I will keep you posted......

As for the Brewer's Fayre,  the construction that is going on near Morrison's right now is it.  It's going up at the speed of light and will be complete in a couple of weeks.   The space next to it (between it and Wilkinsons, next to where the recycling is)  will be the petrol station and work on that will start not long after the Brewers Fayre is complete but there may be some short delay as there is some sort of environmental issue the survey brought to light that has to be rectified before construction of the petrol station can commence.
« Last Edit: Friday 13 July 2012, 1924 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »