Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newry Development gets green light  (Read 29541 times)

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
Re: Newry Development gets green light
« Reply #72 on: Friday 13 July 2012, 2044 »
Something to do with stopping the water getting into the workers beer perhaps?
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1020 »
Something to do with stopping the water getting into the workers beer perhaps?

'Contaminated ground' was the phrase used.  That could mean anything from illegal dumping through to leaking sewage pipes.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1300 »
Thanks for posting that Flip Flops, let us know the reply you get from Alex.
I got a reply from Commissioner Aldridge's Office.    They told me that planning has been devolved back down to the councillors so I wrote back to the Assembly telling them and they responded with a promise to speak with the commisioners and clarify the exact position because that wasn't what they thought.

I will keep you posted......

And lo and behold, in this morning's North Wales Daily Post.........

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/07/14/welsh-government-applies-brakes-to-100m-holyhead-waterfront-project-55578-31391901/

Offline Trefignath

• Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1536 »
Nice to see them earning their wages by keeping their fingers in the pie.  ;D

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1539 »
Great news :). One thing that seems to have been forgotten is that a lot of the councillors used to work for Stena.

Offline Trefignath

• Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1540 »
Great news :). One thing that seems to have been forgotten is that a lot of the councillors used to work for Stena.

That could influence them either way depending....

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1542 »
If they get a pension from them they are recieving money from the company interested in developing.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 1622 »
Does anybody know what would happen to the maritime museum building as they were planning to build a new one? Just wondering as no-one seems to have mentioned that particular building.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 2055 »
I'd always assumed that the lifeboat building (seating for 80 persons) would be listed. However, I've just googled "Listed Buildings Holyhead" and got the following. I can't see it on there (unless i missed it).

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wales/isle+of+anglesey/holyhead

Doesn't mention North Stack or South Stack either.
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 2135 »
Does anybody know what would happen to the maritime museum building as they were planning to build a new one? Just wondering as no-one seems to have mentioned that particular building.

If you look at the plans and the artists impressions the museum and the bistro do not exist so therefore they must be intending to demolish both which would explain why they have incorporated some sort of museum/visitors centre & viewing gallery down the other end.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 2219 »
Sadly yet another of the towns supposedly listed historic buildings that would be condemned to death then :'(

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 14 July 2012, 2348 »
Done more digging. According to the following the lifeboat house /museum/bistro is grade II listed. why it isn't on the other list I dunno.

http://www.cofiadurcahcymru.org.uk/arch/query/page.php?prn=GAT19165

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 15 July 2012, 0844 »
Done more digging. According to the following the lifeboat house /museum/bistro is grade II listed. why it isn't on the other list I dunno.

http://www.cofiadurcahcymru.org.uk/arch/query/page.php?prn=GAT19165

So long as you apply for "Listed Building Consent" you can demolish it.  Who do you apply to?  Funnily enough the council and luckily the system has been speeded up so that it normally takes no more than 8 weeks and in eceptional circumstance no more than 13.  Can't see any problems there that a brown envelope or 2 and a funny handshake won't overcome.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 15 July 2012, 0910 »
Apparently the breakwater's grade 2*.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 15 July 2012, 1000 »
I'm in England so I don't really know about what the proceedure is over there, but here all listed buildings are under the control of English heritage. It is extremely difficult to do anything with listed buildings because this lot just keep saying 'No!' the local councils have no power over them.

Blackburn Council have been trying to get rid of a former police house for about 10 years now. It's still there!

Who is the equivalent authority in Wales? Cadw? Coeflein? Do they know about the proposals?

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 15 July 2012, 1330 »
I'm in England so I don't really know about what the proceedure is over there, but here all listed buildings are under the control of English heritage. It is extremely difficult to do anything with listed buildings because this lot just keep saying 'No!' the local councils have no power over them.

Blackburn Council have been trying to get rid of a former police house for about 10 years now. It's still there!

Who is the equivalent authority in Wales? Cadw? Coeflein? Do they know about the proposals?

Is similar here but  the council referes it to them and they have 21 days to consult and that 21 days is included in the total time that a decision must be made to the applicant.   Also during the consultation,  they have to solve the problem of on-going funding.   If they decilne the applicant's application, they in turn can Appeal to the Welsh Government.   That is extremely expensive and both sides pay their own costs which can run into hundreds of thousands and major developers have in the past resorted to the threat of that to literally bully councils into supporting the application.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 08 August 2012, 2019 »
I see those numptys that are PAWB are supporting both Penrhos and Newry developments saying it would bring 3000 jobs which isn't truee. If they let Wylfa B get built they could have a hell of a lot more jobs than that getting created what with decommisioning and everything. They do more bad than good those people.
(This is my opinion not fact - before anyone turns on me  ;))

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 08 August 2012, 2053 »
I was a bit surprised by PAWBs position over those developments and also over their claim of 3000 jobs.  Even the council and developers don't claim that and they are pie-in-the-sky !

I think PAWB shot themselves in the foot a bit there - they have certainly cast doubt on every other claim they've made.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 0935 »
Sorry, who is PAWB?

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 1250 »
Sorry, who is PAWB?

People Against Wylfa B

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 1431 »
Thanks Che!

So there is an organisation supporting the creation of lots of workers homes for an industry they are against?  ??? A bit contradictory, methinks.

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 1517 »
No, the penrhos tourist village is not homes for nuclear power workers (that was a separate Kingsland - way thing, I think).

I just read their [/url=http://stop-wylfa.org/wp/?p=563]report[/url], and the Penrhos and Newry developments come under a subsection headed "Tourism" with a tally of 800 jobs. That plus others add up to the 3000 that they reckon.

(If you want my opinion, I'll say each of the subsections are perhaps a bit over-optimistic, certainly the Penrhos and Newry ones are total pie-in-the-sky).
Never mind the ylang ylang

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 1944 »
No, the penrhos tourist village is not homes for nuclear power workers (that was a separate Kingsland - way thing, I think).

I just read their [/url=http://stop-wylfa.org/wp/?p=563]report[/url], and the Penrhos and Newry developments come under a subsection headed "Tourism" with a tally of 800 jobs. That plus others add up to the 3000 that they reckon.

(If you want my opinion, I'll say each of the subsections are perhaps a bit over-optimistic, certainly the Penrhos and Newry ones are total pie-in-the-sky).

Kingsland will be houses that are initially used by the hierarchy from the Wylfa  construction firms that will be on-site for most if not all the duration of the construction.  Interestingly,  the council's working document believes they may have to stop the Holyhead schools being Welsh in case it stops the hierarchy taking jobs here.  (This is the same council document incidentally that states that the definition of 'local' in jobs terms is 'within 90 minutes commuting time to the site' when talking about the staffing of Wylfa B once completed and the workers for part of the phase.  That makes Chester & the Wirral local.)

Penrhos initially will be temporary accommodation for the main build phase of Wylfa B and will house around 1000 workers in temporary barracks-style accommodation (usually clip together cuboids from prefab, prefitted containers) and the rental from that use will then help finance the conversion of it into a holiday park.   To put it in a timescale,  if the building of Wylfa B and Land & Lakes was announced to start tomorrow with immediate effect,  it would take  2-3 years to build the Kingsland/Cae Glas housing and the barrck accommodation on the fields at Penrhos.    It would then take 6-8 years to build Wylfa B.   It would than take a further 2-3 years to convert Penrhos to a holiday park.   So if it started tomorrow,  Penrhos as a holiday park is over a decade away minimum.

The Marina development is much the same - the developers are saying it will take them 6 years I think (maybe more) to build it and thousands of lorries delivering hundreds of thousands of tonnes of rubble.

As for jobs at the end of it all Land and Lakes never give a straight answer and their own estimates vary from 'as many as 300',  to 'possibly up to 600'.  Likewise the Marina.  What PAWB maybe doing is either counting some or all of the construction force,  or more likely they are including the bio-digester thingy and the fish farm.  But even then the bio-digester thingy was originally 'up to 200 jobs' and is now 'as many as 60'.   Nobody is opposing the bio-digester although it will greatly increase the lorry traffic,  nor are they opposing the fish farm.
« Last Edit: Thursday 09 August 2012, 1956 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 2140 »
The marina development would do a lot of damage. Where would the sea cadets or the races at the sailing club go for over 6 years?