Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garreglwyd "come on down"  (Read 6710 times)

Offline themole

• Curry Sauce
Garreglwyd "come on down"
« on: Saturday 04 August 2012, 1052 »
Looks like Holyhead is about to be stripped of another piece of history, with the closure of garreglwyd residential home now looking likely. Then again when the council start talking about big development in the area ie: lorry park- wyfa b - biomass plant- holiday park-new prison-new marina-blaa blaa blaa) its usually followed by the real truth which in this case is a close-down, same s*** different day.

Offline Porty

• Administrator
Re: Garreglwyd "come on down"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 2012, 1758 »
Very sad to hear but with all these cut backs what else will go.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 2012, 1837 »
It was said thats it set to close in a matter of weeks. They can't afford to run it apparently.

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 2012, 0008 »
So what's going to happen to the residents?  And will the staff lose their jobs?

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 2012, 1510 »
This is one of the cut-backs we've been told are coming because "there's not enough money around." Supposedly.
Not waiting for the others.

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 2012, 2112 »
Yet they have all this money to spend on a bridge no one needs and a waterfront development no one wants

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 2012, 2117 »
One of the few things in Holyhead that they should actually be trumpeting about. My missus couldn't believe that it was council-run when we visited a relative in there!
"The housecat may mock the tiger," said the master, "but doing so will not make his purr into a roar."

http://www.ipromoservices.com/products/Flower%20Database/id/1072/cat/L

Offline Millbanker

• Gravy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 2012, 1756 »
Thanks Cod for bringing this thread back to top of the pile, it is very important that this care home is saved from closing it is  more important than the Newry and Penrhos developments, the care home being closed will effect all the locals,there is a petition going around i saw it today on Face Book and signed it so I hope you all follow suit.
Thanks Millbanker

Offline 110samec

• Peas Water
  • To the bat poles
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 2012, 1923 »
Theres a petition form in Ponthwfa Stores.

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 2012, 2307 »
Online petition: http://goo.gl/bwLPN
"The housecat may mock the tiger," said the master, "but doing so will not make his purr into a roar."

http://www.ipromoservices.com/products/Flower%20Database/id/1072/cat/L

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 2012, 1909 »
Online petition: http://goo.gl/bwLPN

There is also a paper petition in the Co-op.

This is the weakness of petitions at times.  Many people will sign one or the other thinking they can't sign both when in fact they are separate.  This in turn dilutes them.

So please sign both.

Offline Porty

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 August 2012, 2139 »
Im sure i've seen on facebook that a public meeting will be held i shall try and find it.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 2048 »
Public Meeting To Discuss The Proposed Closure Of Garreglwyd Residential Home
Tuesday 21st August 2012 ... 6.30PM...Holyhead High School Hall.

Please Come and Support..

ALL WELCOME!!!

Please copy and paste, so the word get around!..Thank you.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 2228 »
As we know, other care homes are also under the threat of closure, including this English one, Greenwood House in Netherton, Peterborough.

I found this PDF (which seemed to take a while to download), Care Homes closures, the Law, its practice and the implications by solicitor Yvonne Hossack.  Although it was written some years ago, and doesn't mention any homes in Wales (I'm not sure what the differences between England and Wales might be here), it explains the situation and process in some detail. 

Point 6.4 is worth looking at:

The main ground of legal challenge which the Courts are likely to consider is that the Consultation was flawed. It is a matter of regret that the better the campaign the less likely it is that the Court will consider Consultation to be inadequate. This is because a Local Authority merely needs to show that it has considered matters and not that it has made the “right” decision based on the information it has received.

Unfortunately, Ms. Hossack herself has experienced some legal setbacks, but is continuing to help other care home residents whose homes are threatened with closure.
« Last Edit: Friday 10 August 2012, 1549 by Jean »

Offline Millbanker

• Gravy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 August 2012, 2307 »
Public Meeting To Discuss The Proposed Closure Of Garreglwyd Residential Home
Tuesday 21st August 2012 ... 6.30PM...Holyhead High School Hall.
Please Come and Support..ALL WELCOME!!! Please copy and paste, so the word get around!..Thank you.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 0945 »
Many years ago, I worked at Garreglwyd.
Before my time as an employee, it was just Garreglwyd Home, the place where Nain said she’d end up and I’d better come and visit her.
My Nain did end up there and the fact that I worked there was great.
As my Nain approached her 90’s she began to lose some of her faculties. It was so distressing to see her while this horrible transition was occurring. She had been such a stoic and strong woman, so wonderfully “Holyhead Mam” and really, the nucleus of the family. We used to visit her in Treaddur Square after school, during lunch, before going out, sleep over, drink strong a and eat bechdan jams. – We loved her so much.
Nain was eventually assigned to a nursing home somewhere in “the country” because there was no room for her locally. She was so unhappy, so lonely. Nain knew no one and even though we visited as much as we could, it didn’t help her or us.

Then one day we got the message that Nain had a place at Garreglwyd. Brilliant! She arrived a quiet, withdrawn old lady with no concept of life around her. Such a heart wrenching experience, to see our wonderful Nain so defeated. A week later, well Blydi Nora, her beautiful white hair was set and glistening like a gorgeous curly halo. She had on a dress she hadn’t worn in yonks, her nails were lacquered and ..when we walked in, her eyes lit up. Dammittal, she recognised us and was made-up to see us. We had a great chat, “Violet Butler works here, she’s your Auntie you know.. and Betty Parry and Beryl and Mona....I knew their Mams” and so it went.
My Mam went to visit and bumped into a resident who was an old neighbour from her childhood, she was thrilled and “Cath” even more so because Mam started to visit her too. She had no family left and so looked forward to the unexpected visits. My Nain was playing cards, getting her hair done, blackguarding all her old nemeses and having the best time. Because she was happy, her family were also less stressed and life became better. Garreglwyd connects people.
When I got to work there, I met lots of old characters, Bob Hosking, (The origin of my nickname came from Bob “yr hen blydi Shareen ‘na”) Georgie Bach, Maggie “Crogan”, Annie Huyten, Ronnie, Gwilym, John L..the list is endless. What all these people had in common, except for the residency at Garreglwyd and being funny, interesting people,  was that they had no family left. Their family was each other and the staff at Garreglwyd. The men helped with dishes, doing the gardens, all sorts. They sat together watching telly and playing dominos of an evening.
They had company and it was home.
What I’m attempting to show here, is that only is Garreglwyd necessary for elderly people who still have families, it’s essential for those who don’t. It gives people who are written off by society a place to live again, to enjoy what’s left of their lives and to end their lives in a place where they have spent happy years. A place where someone is holding their hands, while they pass onto whatever follows.
The Great girls who work there don’t consider it a job, it’s a vocation. It’s something you do because you grow to love these old people. The elderly living there don’t just love you back, they depend on you.
After the indescribable agony of taking her into the country and quashing her spirit in another care-home, for the few short months we had left with her Garreglwyd gave us our Nain back.
Garreglwyd gives elderly people hope.
Garreglwyd provides not only jobs, it provides purpose.
Apart from being a fantastic care home, with a wonderful reputation. Garreglwyd is a strong root in Holyhead’s society.
Rona, the Matron was a care assistant when I worked there, 25 years ago – doesn’t that prove how much Garreglwyd means to people and how its staff does more than just “care”?

Don’t take it away.
« Last Edit: Friday 10 August 2012, 1010 by Reenie »
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline gazza

• Administrator
  • Why Aye Yeah
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 1052 »
Reens, you ought to get that in the paper.
Never mind the ylang ylang

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 1105 »
Cheers Gazza.

Anyone want to do it for us ? The HaM won't do it but if anyone would like to use it - feel free. I live in Holland now so I can't.

Offline Gavalaaah

• Sos coch
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 1327 »
Hi folks! Thanks for letting me join, I too am incensed at the chwinks in LLangefni making our seniors and us pay for their mistakes!

What will be left when it's our turn to go into a home? I've been putting petitions in the shops around town and my sister has started the online one.

Basically we need to get as much coverage as possible for this, even more so as the council have been so devious about this plan.

They had a meeting last November to agree the closure plan, then the Council Executive went and sat with the residents in December and had mince pies with them.
It just begs belief!!! :o
I'm trying to get people together next week to pool our resources and will be in town Monday with petitions outside the YMCA shop (Woolies).

The little I know so far is that this closure is to do with cost cutting, they Council have brought in an advisor (at what cost I don't know) from Preston in the shape of Stephen Sloss. A hatchet man basically, nothing he's advised on seems to stay open long!

He's worked for the Council since January, so how the councillors can say they didn't know is anyone's guess, unless they mean the Holyhead Councillors?

Anglesey Councils' comment in the H&A mail that the cost of maintenance is too high is another fault of theirs as they have not maintained the home, even going as far as to leave it off the contract for getti the garden cut!
I've already had an offer of free services from an electrician to do the PAT and inspection and testing there, I'm sure between us we can muster up the required skills to do what's necessary and keep the place going?

Sorry, if I'm digressing, outside I'm cool, inside I'm tamping!!!

If I get any more info I'll keep you updated, and thanks for caring. I don't think Holyhead needs rebranding, it just needs a common cause for us to unite behind and remind us of what is important.    ;D

« Last Edit: Friday 10 August 2012, 1402 by Gavalaaah »

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 1612 »

They had a meeting last November to agree the closure plan, then the Council Executive went and sat with the residents in December and had mince pies with them. 

Compare this with para 5.2. of the PDF which I linked to in my earlier post:

... the question of whether a care home is to close is driven by Budgetary considerations so that a decision will be made between December and February in order to allow the Council to set its budget in the February.

From the Daily Post article (4 8 12):

... Iona Dunwoodie, 37, of Moreton Road, Holyhead  ... said ... "It is an upheaval and as a result of this I think there will be deaths – some of the elderly people won’t be able to cope, it will take its toll.”

Compare this comment with Section 4 of the PDF, entitled "Health effects, including mortality, of involuntary transfer" (Relocation stress syndrome).

From the Daily Post article again:

A member of staff, who asked not to be named, said ... “They’ve said they are going to close the home and it will probably happen in the next seven weeks and that the quicker that process the less painful it will be ... ”

Compare that statement with point 5.5.5 from the PDF:

The Local Authority tell relatives that they are extremely concerned that the resident is becoming stressed and it is better to find them a new home immediately so as to bring this stress to an end.

Finally, it's very important, apparently, that the Local Authority are able to demonstrate that they did carefully observe all the processes required during the consultation period, although (8.3):

There is no duty on a Local Authority to inform residents of their right to challenge nor that they should take independent legal advice. From which it follows that none are helped or enabled to take such advice.

Thus far, therefore, this case seems to be following the pattern of many others ...

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 0959 »
I'm trying to get people together next week to pool our resources and will be in town Monday with petitions outside the YMCA shop (Woolies).

Gavalaaah,  there are at least three different paper petitions doing the rounds now as well as at least one internet one.    Someone needs to set up an official campaign group,  consolidate it,  brief the local press and have one controlled Official Petition or you will run the risk of it being diluted.  Officialdom finds it very easy to rebuff half-a-dozen separate petitions, picking them off one at a time , than dealing with one all mighty thumper in one go.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 1046 »
It would be helpful if it could be discovered whether the Council had acted unlawfully at any point. 

For instance, was the consultation procedure adequate, and was it properly followed? 

Is this a case where a Judicial Review might be appropriate?