Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Games  (Read 49 times)

Offline Rascal

• I love my daughter more than any pig
Games
« on: Saturday 21 April 2018, 0119 »
I recently was introduced to a couple that now live in Cornshire, and their quirk is playing card and board games. But not the normal ones that you get in Toys r us.  They showed me Bug Poker, Parade and Ghostel (which they appear in on one of the cards as charactetures).
I asked if they had ever played Kings and Things, which they had never heard of. Ha! Outgeeked the geeks.

What unusual or usual games so you like.

I've always loved Frustration, a number of card games and Scrabble.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
Re: Games
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 2018, 0654 »
We don't usually play board or card games outside 'holidays' but I want to start. Problem is finding English ones here in NL. The Dutch usually only have kids or fantasy choices, buying online isnt an option unless you know what you want.  We have a lot of very funny games but all for 4 persons or more.
I intend to scour the shops when we're in the UK soon.
A colleague mentioned a popular game ...game of life ?? Supposed to be funny but I have no idea. Any tips?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Administrator
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 2018, 1137 »
Games don't do me. I have zero competitiveness. (Is that a word?).
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 2018, 2229 »
I recently was introduced to a couple that now live in Cornshire, and their quirk is playing card and board games. But not the normal ones that you get in Toys r us.  They showed me Bug Poker, Parade and Ghostel (which they appear in on one of the cards as charactetures).
I asked if they had ever played Kings and Things, which they had never heard of. Ha! Outgeeked the geeks.

What unusual or usual games so you like.

I've always loved Frustration, a number of card games and Scrabble.

My mate Derek had a lot of facial hair around his chin and cheeks, and therefore he liked playing *beard* games.

Because he had a beard.

He didn't like board games though, as that sounded too much like beard games and he found it confusing - so much so that in 1996 he went insane and stalked either Tony Hart or Willie Rushton, until marrying either Willie Rushton or Tony Hart in 1994. You can get the full facts on their YouTube channel, "Derek and Tony Hart or Willie Rushton's Full Fax Filofax of Fulfilled Facts."

I wouldn't, though.
Even now
My thought is clinging as to a lost learning
Slipped down out of the minds of men,
Labouring to bring her back into my soul.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 2018, 1638 »
I think I remember your mate Derek ...  Wasn't there something about a cat?  And some superglue?  That beard: it wasn't a false beard, was it ... ?

@Reenie: well: there's always Monopoly ... and Trivial Pursuit.

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 2018, 1950 »
Not bragging, but I am an expert in:
ESCAPE FROM COLDITZ
Possibly the best board game ever.  I prefer to play as the German.  I am from ze school of "Method Acting".  Jah, really.  For you, TOMMY, ze var is over.

I have a high degree of skill in the following:
FORMULA 1
JAMES BOND 007 SECRET SERVICE AGENT
Used to be reasonable at:
BUCCANEER
EXPLORATION
MICRODOT
But decades have passed since I played these 3 and much of it has now faded completely away

and am bored by Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo, Risk.

A very special mention must go to SANCTUARY
This game is entertaining for all and good fun.  It is difficult even as a veteran to dominate play in this game.

The problem with a great game like Escape from Colditz is finding 3 or 4 people, more if you want - up to 6, who all have a good understanding of the rules and what is going to happen.  This means [as with most board games] all new participants have to have an 'open' and rather boring first game where every move and option is disclosed and discussed, so every player is informed for the start of the real game.  Sadly just the introduction can use up a whole wet Sunday /Christmas Day afternoon.

Formula 1 though is a superb game that anyone can pick up very quickly, even children but requires a high level of skill to win when all participants are veterans.

James Bond can be played by children and adults and flows along nicely, with chance playing a large part making this a great game to play with children.

Escape from Colditz is the most rewarding, three players minimum.  If only two people are playing, I always get accused of bullying by the schweinhund I am playing with.

"OH DEAR, MEIN GUARD HAS SHOT YOUR MAN IN ZE BACK.  VE ARE HAVING GOOD FUN JAH?

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 2018, 2107 »
The best game of all?  LUDO