Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internet Job Sites.  (Read 11905 times)

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
Internet Job Sites.
« on: Friday 14 March 2014, 1100 »
Che will add to this regularly.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
Re: Internet Job Sites.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 2014, 1541 »
OK,   There are many internet jobsites  but I will just stick to the main ones and say how I do it.

DO NOT - EVER - CONNECT YOUR FACEBOOK OR TWITTER TO ANY OF THESE.  IF YOU DO, IT WILL ALLOW PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER TO SEE YOUR POSTS - AND WE DON'T WANT THAT DO WE!!!!!

In order to set them up to automatically notify you when a vacancy comes up that fits your parameters you will need to register and create an account.   I have found that the easiest way to do this is to get a fresh e-mail address and use that and the same password for every site and not use that e-mail for anything else - that way you won't forget and it keeps it tidy.  It also helps if you have an uploadable CV so that not only is your profile there but your CV is there ready for any would be employer to download it.

First of all, LinkedIn.   Not a job site as such but a sort of profile hunter. Originally for 'professionals' but now widely used.   DON'T upgrade to premium, not even for a trial offer.  Unless you are a company executive director or whatever then it serves no purpose for us mere mortals.  A good use of LinkedIn however is to create a signature block on your e-mails and connect your LinkedIn to it so that anyone who gets an e-mail off you for whatever reason can see you are on LinkedIn and click and have a look at you and what you can offer.  You never know your luck.

The most useful job portals for people on the island in my opinion are as follows (indeed is the best):-

There's also the Job Centre jobsite (Universal Jobmatch).   To be frank,  it's always days behind 'indeed' - which seems to be the best one.   It's also very clumsy.       That said,  you should still use it because it's handy to have a gateway digital ID.    If you already have a gateway digital ID - you may have created one to get your driving licence or car tax,  or passport via the internet, or order birth certificates or run your VAT records etc, then you just use the same one - the 12 numbers and your password.   If however you haven't got one, just follow the instructions (about 2-3 weeks later you will also receive a card with your 12 digit user ID).   Once you get the knack of the gateway,  it great - I've renewed passports, driving licences, car tax, retrieved my NI contributions and ordered birth certificates.  It really is handy.

« Last Edit: Saturday 13 September 2014, 0929 by Che Guevaras Flip Flops »

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 2014, 0030 »
I would just like to say that I think the work Che is doing building this board is great and from the number of views the threads are getting, very much appreciated by many. It is much more of an information board than a discussion board hence the low number of replies, and of course is to be expected.

That said, if anybody lands a position listed on here, it would be nice to know that Che's arrows have hit the target.

Thanks again Che.
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Mab y Mynydd

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Cogito ergo sum.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 2014, 1128 »
Hear hear.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 2014, 2123 »
Well all the way through  - including when I was doing the union stuff for the redundancies,  I have adopted the attitude that I was in a very lucky position - I have an Army pension bigger than the minimum wage and the wife works so being unemployed wasn't going to affect me the way it has for others amd that I should help other people as much as I could because they were in a far worse position than me and not to waste the time.    So in my 'down time' I have done an SIA door supervisor licence,  an SIA CCTV operator licence,  a CSCS green card, CSCS white card, Asbestos Awareness, Manual Lifting,  level 3 First Aid at Work and a few other odds & sods (all paid for by the Welsh Government bless their cotton socks).

I have now started a summer time job as a beach warden/slipway attendant and I've still got virtually all of my redundancy money.  So I am now looking for something more permanent.

I must say though,  someone needs to get some of these young kids that are claiming JSA off to one side and tell them a few facts of life.  They turn up for the dole office late,  unwashed, in dirty scruffy clothes, unshaven, messing about,  surly attitude, argumentative and to be frank I wouldn't employ them if they turned up for interview like that.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 0101 »
I thinking of resurrecting this.

Should I?

Did it help anyone.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 1720 »
Aye go ahead Che.

It might help someone -- not me cos I'm long retired.

What is the empoyment situation in HH / N Wales?

Not waiting for the others.

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 2017, 1713 »
Aye go ahead Che.

It might help someone -- not me cos I'm long retired.

What is the empoyment situation in HH / N Wales?

It's actually quite healthy if you only look at the surface.   The problem is the lack of full time jobs and jobs above the Living Wage, compounded by the lack of training provided by employers.   For example it isn't at all unusual to see adverts demanding a minimum of 2 years experience,  qualifications in A,B & C and in return only offering a part-time zero hour contract on minimum wage.

One of the problems is employers are abusing the tax credits system and using it as a justification to pay p*ss-poor wages.   This in turn is one of the reasons productivity in the UK is so low - it's cheaper for employers to employ people than invest in new techniques and new methods.