Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holyhead Heritage Day 19th. September 2015  (Read 2243 times)

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
Holyhead Heritage Day 19th. September 2015
« on: Wednesday 09 September 2015, 1123 »
As part of the CADW Open Doors programme.
http://cadw.gov.wales/events/allevents/open-doors-st-cybis-church-19-september-2015/?lang=en
The Holyhead event will focus on the town centre. The focal point will be the Roman fort and St Cybi's Church. Legionnaires in full regalia will lead a Roman march through the town centre, and demonstrations on Roman life will take place throughout the day at St Cybi’s churchyard, and will also involve local children, who will have the opportunity to dress up in Roman uniform. The Roman Fort and Church will be open in the morning and afternoon, and a local volunteers will be available to meet and give visitors an insight into the history of the building. There will also be two guided tours of approximately 1˝ hours each led Royal Commission architectural historian, Richard Suggett focusing on St Cybi’s Church and environs.

Roman Legionnaires in and around the town and focussed on St Cybi’s Churchyards c10am to c4.30pm.   St Cybi’s Church open tbc but likely to be from c10.30am to c4.30pm. Guided tours led by staff from the Royal Commission will start at 11am and 2pm meeting in the tearoom at the Ucheldre Centre, Millbank, Holyhead, Anglesey, LL65 1TE. Pre-booking through the Royal Commission is advised. For booking, please contact: nicola.roberts@rcahmw.gov.uk / 01970 621248.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
Re: Holyhead Heritage Day 19th. September 2015
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 2015, 1134 »
Interesting to know TG, Thanks!
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 2015, 1944 »
O man! Just seen this
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 2015, 2257 »
It was extraordinarily poorly advertised locally.  I was actually coming out of the Co-Op when the Romans marched passed on the pavement (chanting away in latin), down a largely empty street with the odd bemused person looking on.

Nobody seemed to know what was going on, not even the Co-Op staff or the people loitering outside BetFred's.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 2015, 1245 »
It was extraordinarily poorly advertised locally.  I was actually coming out of the Co-Op when the Romans marched passed on the pavement (chanting away in latin), down a largely empty street with the odd bemused person looking on.

Nobody seemed to know what was going on, not even the Co-Op staff or the people loitering outside BetFred's.

Che, the Romans seem to come here several times every year but I only ever hear about it after the event.  I've been trying to see them since about 2011, it's been a running joke in my house.

I meant to ask them for contact details but forgot in my excitement.

The people doing the re-enactment put so much into it, not only time, but money and effort and are so friendly and enthusiastic about getting the details right and took so much time to pose for photographs, explain Roman methods of warfare, subjugation and government, answer general questions and just share their knowledge, it really is a shame that CADW and the council don't make more of an effort to promote these events.

I believe the Romans can be found in the town when cruise ships come in but that is only anecdotal.  This is sort of thing that twitter and facebook are made for imo.

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 2015, 1735 »
I believe the Romans can be found in the town when cruise ships come in but that is only anecdotal.  This is sort of thing that twitter and facebook are made for imo.

There are usually a couple knocking about when the cruise ships are in,  but this was a veritable invasion - there were around a dozen of them!   And instead of the normal cruise activities of loitering in the fort/Cybi graveyard and standing menacingly at the start of the Gateway opposite Ash Ghami's Emporium of Tac, they were on this occasion drilling, marching up and down Market street and chanting Roman marching chants.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 2016, 1259 »
I wonder if this top secret event is on again this year?  I've checked CADW and there is nothing BUT who knows?

If anyone does, please post here...

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 2016, 1413 »
The Tourism department in Anglesey Council think there might be some Roman legionaries in town for 8th. September when a particularly large cruise ship is due in.