Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Collecting things  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
Collecting things
« on: Thursday 21 January 2016, 2331 »
What things do people collect? Youknow, like stamps and coins and stuff.

I have a purse with a collection of coins from all over the world, some of the countries they are from no longer exist.  I used to love looking at them and the different designs and then working out where they were from, looking at maps and reading a bit about the countries.  I showed them to RB and she took an instant shine to them and since we have added to the collection, our neighbour goes to the Middle East quite often and he brought us some back recently.

I have a few more modern and home grown coins too such as the Olympic 50p's and a load of 2 coins with different designs on the obverse.  Some are a solid gold colour rather than the bi-metal ones you usually see.  The first one I was given as a Christmas present in 1986 when they were first issued.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
Re: Collecting things
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 0658 »
I collect ......

P U N S !

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 1543 »
I used to collect debts.

I seem to have "collected" a number of interesting pebbles -- mainly from Penrhos Beach. Not consciously rather because they are attractive products of nature fashioned across millenia. I used to have many more but have had to leave most in my travels.

And books of course -- mostly kept because I might want to read or refer to them again some time. And of course you just can't just get rid of books can you?
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 1716 »
I've loads of VHS videos.

The Papa Bear used to keep all his old receipts. We've been going through the family homestead clearing it out prior to selling it (Mama Bear passed on last year) and came across a receipt for a week's stay in the Seacroft Hotel in 1963. It was my first visit to Caergybi and the surrounding area.
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 2138 »
My wife is an artist and regularly collects driftwood from local beaches especially after storms. Then she makes things out of it !

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 2016, 2158 »
Baz, you may recall me saying I used to know an elderly chap down at Trearddur bay who taught me to fish and sail. He used to collect driftwood, mainly for his fire at home. His favourite collecting ground was Traeth Baz!

He found a mini there once!  :-X

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 2016, 1001 »
Baz, you may recall me saying I used to know an elderly chap down at Trearddur bay who taught me to fish and sail. He used to collect driftwood, mainly for his fire at home. His favourite collecting ground was Traeth Baz!

He found a mini there once!  :-X

Wow yes I'd forgotten about that. I don't remember any elderly chap asking my permission to explore my beach ! I bet none of his cars ever landed on it !

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 2016, 1645 »
I collect ex-wives.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 2016, 2221 »
I forgot, I have many beer and pop bottles. They are in the shed and garage mainly on shelves or a display unit I made.  A lot of them have embossed writing on them of the breweries that made them.
One that I particularly like has a marble in it.  When you pour the beer out the one way, the marble is trapped in a recess, but turn the bottle around and the marble rolls to plug the neck and stop the beer leaving.  That one is dated as late as 1966 when that brewery closed down but I have one from a Birmingham brewery and from research, I think it's 150 years old. 
A particular favourite is a little half pint orange juice (milk bottle style) bottle.  I found it in a set of woods and picked it up. It was covered in soil and dirt, but as I was walking the spaniel, a bloke stopped me and said that he used to have them bottles delivered to his house when he was a kid and they had orange juice in them.  Sure enough, when I cleaned it up, there was a great design on it.
Another one I have is a Barr iron bru bottle with an 8p return on the cap.
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 2016, 2223 »
Do you reckon you could still get your 8p?

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 2016, 0040 »
Na.

I also have a small collection of musket balls from the English Civil War

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 2016, 0759 »
Laundry and ironing ...

Offline that guy

• Gravy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 January 2016, 0958 »
Na.

When I was very young say about 5 or 6 I found what I thought was musket balls from the Civil War at the top of Holyhead Mountain.  They were rabbit droppings.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 January 2016, 0025 »
Jean,mi have a bunch of that too and no matter how often I wash and iron it,there is always more that appears.

That guy, these are from a battle site that can die dated

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 January 2016, 0912 »
Na.

When I was very young say about 5 or 6 I found what I thought was musket balls from the Civil War at the top of Holyhead Mountain.  They were rabbit droppings.

Big blydi rabbits. Oh Dear Lord, not the Scary Skerries ones...

"Rabbits! She could see white rabbits, hundreds of them, grouped together, staring with hostile, red-eyed intensity at the cabin. Tapping cautiously at the window she managed to draw their attention away from what she assumed was the door to the hut. As the goup made their way toward her she noticed some of them were foaming at the mouth. Experiencing a frisson of real fear she held her breath. Oh Dear God No......was she on the Skerries and were these the notorious maniac
cwningen of seaboot eating infamy? ............."

Extract from page 6 of the unfinished and epic saga
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 January 2016, 2355 »

Big blydi rabbits. Oh Dear Lord, not the Scary Skerries ones...

"Rabbits! She could see white rabbits, hundreds of them, grouped together, staring with hostile, red-eyed intensity at the cabin. Tapping cautiously at the window she managed to draw their attention away from what she assumed was the door to the hut. As the goup made their way toward her she noticed some of them were foaming at the mouth. Experiencing a frisson of real fear she held her breath. Oh Dear God No......was she on the Skerries and were these the notorious maniac
cwningen of seaboot eating infamy? ............."

Extract from page 6 of the unfinished and epic saga

Was that really ten years ago ...

The bad news is that I did collect up and edit all the contributions into some more or less coherent narrative: there was a sort of ending, after a fashion ... If anyone wants to know more, send me a PM.

BTW, can anyone remember what happened to the story about Wils pursuing his lost Internet connection?

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 2016, 0926 »
I spent a very pleasant morning re-reading that. Belly laughs aplenty. Even the bit where Wils kills Reens.

No idea about his lost interweb. I bet he tried to repair it and made it even more worser. 
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Cod

• Control
  • Administrator
    • Caergybi.com
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 February 2016, 2155 »
Old rotary telephones (GPO).
I've managed to whittle my collection of websites down to just a couple!
"The housecat may mock the tiger," said the master, "but doing so will not make his purr into a roar."

http://www.ipromoservices.com/products/Flower%20Database/id/1072/cat/L

Offline Hi Seas Drifter

• Gravy
  • Oh the life on the ocean wave tra lalalalalalaa
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 February 2016, 0954 »
Cod reminded me of an incident a few years ago..... the new engine cadet on the ship was told to phone (old rotary dial) the bridge to tell them the engines were ready. The smiles of utter disbelief when he tried repeatedly to punch the numbers on the rorary dial - priceless
You can logout but you can never leave

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 February 2016, 2032 »
Old rotary telephones (GPO).
I've managed to whittle my collection of websites down to just a couple!

A friend of mine collects them too. He is also a brilliant musician, last week I saw him with two sacks of phones......

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 March 2016, 2257 »
I seem to collect random junk and I really wish I didn't.
It only seems to be since fortnightly bin collections started.
If collections were still weekly my house would be quite minimalist.
Come October when the tree weekly collections begin you may as well call me Mr Trebus.
« Last Edit: Thursday 03 March 2016, 1824 by Shell »

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 March 2016, 2337 »
You can always take your rubbish and put it in public bins, but if everyone did it,they would get full quick yeah

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 March 2016, 1645 »
Today I cleared a load of junk from the garage, greenhouse and shed.  The junk collection has been dramatically reduced.

Last year I think it was, RB and I collected the Disney cards from Morrisons.  We got them all and have them in folders.  Apparently there is a Disneyana section on ebay!
Individual cards are asking about 1.50 and the collection with the folder is 40.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 March 2016, 1753 »
I had an exciting day at the car boot sale where some bloke was selling Disney stuff. I got a huge buzz !