Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Collecting things  (Read 8821 times)

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Administrator
Re: Collecting things
« Reply #120 on: Monday 04 September 2017, 2140 »
Ace.  Except I gave him that set last month, and he gave me 401 for it.

Then he said if he ever gets a duplicate set, he'll hide it under his floorboards, convert to the Moonies, and buy a monkey named Archie and go on an adventure.

Haven't seen him since Friday.

Wouldn't it be better to buy a donkey named Archie?

Then he could ride it as he went off in search of adventures ...

Offline Rascal

• I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday 06 September 2017, 0814 »
He rode the monkey called Archie, I saw him pass the window.

An old uni buddy is forever posting pictures of action figures but mainly transformers on the book of the face.  So, last night I asked him how many he has.  He said, after selling a load and replacing them in the last twelve months, he has started to catalogue them but lost track during the sales and estimates he has one thousand.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Rascal

« Reply #122 on: Thursday 07 September 2017, 1345 »
I picked up a Models of Yesteryear toy car by Lesney  yesterday for 25p from a charity shop. Its not in brilliant condition but a similar one is on da flea bay, I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.

Offline Rascal

« Reply #123 on: Thursday 07 September 2017, 1813 »
After a bit of research, the toy car is about 56 years old from the colour of the grey tyres and the lack of the spare tyre modification

Offline Rascal

« Reply #124 on: Sunday 10 September 2017, 0044 »
Picked up a VW golf toy car today, it seems to have some age to it, I will research it.
Also, a Hotwheels Marvel Avengers Batman car, new.

And some 1/32 plastic Romans, these are much bigger than what I am used to painting.  They have had the flash removed and undercoated

Offline Rascal

« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 13 September 2017, 2338 »
The MK1 Golf is No 210 by Majorette, a French company. Its about mid 70s production.

This week I also picked up a Britain's horse box, missing the doors unfortunately. 1979.

And

A couple of Hotwheels 1985 and 1990. The early model is very collectable.

Offline Rascal

« Reply #126 on: Sunday 24 September 2017, 0019 »
52 toy cars to go on eBay now

Offline Rascal

« Reply #127 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 0120 »
EBay only allows 10 items per month to go on.  I'm going to be here for years trying to sell all these.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: Friday 29 September 2017, 1703 »
EBay only allows 10 items per month to go on.  I'm going to be here for years trying to sell all these.

What you really need, Rascal, is a set of toy car transporters.  Then you could pile the cars onto them a few at a time, and claim they were one item ...

Offline Rascal

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 30 September 2017, 1335 »
But what you really need, Rascal, is a big empty one ...

Offline Rascal

« Reply #131 on: Sunday 29 October 2017, 1308 »
I found a Polish coin, it will go with the other foreign coins that I have collected since the early 70s

Offline Rascal

« Reply #132 on: Monday 06 November 2017, 2108 »
I bought four lead figurines, dated somewhere between 1880 and 1910. They are German made and they are from a set of brass band players, they are in good condition for the age.

Offline Rascal

« Reply #133 on: Sunday 19 November 2017, 1625 »
In an antiques shop yesterday, I spied some lead figures.  The bloke took them out of the display cabinet and said the shop owner would be back in a minute, they were across the road getting coffee. When she came back, he asked her how much for the five of them.  After a sucking in of breath, she told me that they are Britons and are 4 each. I informed her that they are hollow cast, johilco, and I pick them up for 75p each in better condition than these. 3.50 for the five.

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 19 November 2017, 1750 »
In an antiques shop yesterday, I spied some lead figures.  The bloke took them out of the display cabinet and said the shop owner would be back in a minute, they were across the road getting coffee. When she came back, he asked her how much for the five of them.  After a sucking in of breath, she told me that they are Britons and are 4 each. I informed her that they are hollow cast, johilco, and I pick them up for 75p each in better condition than these. 3.50 for the five.

Well done!  Educated a vulgar brute whilst treating yourself.    The mark of a true gentleman.

I have started collecting 4'' figures with a Roman arena theme.  I plan to construct a 'pop up' arena to entertain any callers who might be interested in such things  ;)

Offline Rascal

« Reply #135 on: Monday 20 November 2017, 1700 »
which 4" figures are these?

is the arena a bought one or are you building it yourself and if so is it from a kit or from scratch?

do you have any pictures of these?

do you intend to subject your guests to some sort of gladiator table top game whereby if they loose, you torture them in a real arena in your back garden?

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #136 on: Monday 20 November 2017, 1830 »
Schleich, papo and cheap copies.  I'm building the arena from scratch, it will come apart for storage and be used for outdoor tabletop role play/gaming by my guests using the gladiators and the beasts.

I'll use d&d 'light' for the combat rules.

No pictures yet, but I'm going to do my best to make it a spectacle! 

Offline Rascal

« Reply #137 on: Tuesday 21 November 2017, 1329 »
I 've seen them Schleich toys in the shops but didn't know the name of them.  They are done to quite a high standard and much larger than I usually paint.  I may get one and have a blast at painting over it now that my eyesight isn't what it once was.

Just cheched out Papo too, dear me they are some price.

If you are really going to do the role play/table top gaming, you may want to consider Arms Law/Claw Law.  We used to used that about 30 years ago, but as far as I can remember it was a pretty good system as far as these things go and they did cover all sorts of strange and wonderful beasties in there as well as any sort of weapon that you would be using in your games.

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #138 on: Thursday 23 November 2017, 1821 »
They are indeed very pricey, however Ebay can be fruitful, Schleich more than Papo for some reason.  I have limited top price per figure to 4, I won't actually need many high grade figures as these will be used as the P.C. or the player character, along with a few suitable beasts.

I need quite a few N.P.C.'s [non player characters to lapse into full nerd speak] to make a spectacle and there are a few brands to be had at a reasonable price, blue box, revell and these beauties at under 1 each with free p&p all the way from China!

Offline Rascal

« Reply #139 on: Thursday 23 November 2017, 2025 »
You are really going for it.  Last night I thought, its not called Arms law its Arms Lore

Offline that guy

• Administrator
  • Bad Man
« Reply #140 on: Friday 24 November 2017, 1821 »
Your version is far superior.

Makes me imagine a mailed fist smashing down hard on a table as voice over man roars ARMS LAW!, the other a big old smelly book sitting in a dusty corner with a whiny voice droning what sounds like "Harms Lore"

The publishers should kick themselves.

Offline Rascal

« Reply #141 on: Tuesday 16 January 2018, 0141 »
Last month saw the launch of a new magazine, its got a large card and a reproduction of old Dinkey car on it in a blister pack. It cost 3. This months one is 8.
I do think about getting them but decided against it.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Administrator
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 16 January 2018, 0739 »
Saw that advertised. My thoughts were that they are trying to cash in on the reputation of the original diecast toys with cheap plastic copies.

A few years ago, I decided to buy a Hornby 00 locomotive for my brother who is into his model trains. Paid 60.00 for a model of "Mallard". Very disappointed to find out that it was a plastic moulding. It must've cost about 2.50 to make. I've not really had any interest in model stuff since then. Pity. Some of his older stuff is fantastic. He has a few 00 gauge metal locos and carriages but also some original '0' guage clockwork stuff as well.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 16 January 2018, 0745 by Nooks »
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Rascal

« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 16 January 2018, 1146 »
Probably knocked up by a different company. They buy the names of famous makes and the tooling to go with it.  The manufacturing isn't then always up to scratch.
A guy that lived around the corner, I called him Sting Ray, because he was the spitting image of stink. Well, he had a display cabinet that he made and was full of railway carriages that he had made. They looked pretty cool to be fair.