Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Collecting things  (Read 5630 times)

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
Re: Collecting things
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 21 June 2016, 2125 »
What are Anglesey penny's and half pennies?

The world's first industrially manufactured coins, first made by the Parys Mining Company in 1787 to pay their workers.  There was insufficient small coins in circulation at the time that paying men their wages in coin they could spend was impossible as the official coins minted in 1775 was of such poor quality it was easily counterfeited and was actually in scarce supply.

So the Parys Mining Company made their own, and they were of the highest quality.

One side shows a Druids head surrounded by oak leaves, the other side has a Parys Mining Company cipher, the date and the words: "We promise to pay the bearer one penny On demand in London , Liverpool or Anglesey".

The forgeries that inevitably ensued are worth almost as much as the real coins nowadays!

Offline Che Guevaras Flip Flops

• Tatw Pum Munud
  • www.savepenrhos.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 21 June 2016, 2233 »
What are Anglesey penny's and half pennies?

The world's first industrially manufactured coins, first made by the Parys Mining Company in 1787 to pay their workers.  There was insufficient small coins in circulation at the time that paying men their wages in coin they could spend was impossible as the official coins minted in 1775 was of such poor quality it was easily counterfeited and was actually in scarce supply.

So the Parys Mining Company made their own, and they were of the highest quality.

One side shows a Druids head surrounded by oak leaves, the other side has a Parys Mining Company cipher, the date and the words: "We promise to pay the bearer one penny On demand in London , Liverpool or Anglesey".

The forgeries that inevitably ensued are worth almost as much as the real coins nowadays!

It was quite common before then within the British Army for soldiers to be paid with 'gun metal' coins made from poor quality bronze due to the shortage of available Crown coinage locally.   The Irish war of James and William of Orange as an example.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 22 June 2016, 1747 »
It was quite common before then within the British Army for soldiers to be paid with 'gun metal' coins made from poor quality bronze due to the shortage of available Crown coinage locally.   The Irish war of James and William of Orange as an example.

I didn't know that Che thanks.
*Runs off to eBay*

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 23 June 2016, 2211 »
wow ace, thanks. I will get the detector out again soon
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #52 on: Monday 01 August 2016, 0026 »
I went to Scotland to see a friend from Holyhead yeah and he gave me a box of lead soldiers from about thirty years ago.  When I got home, I went through them more closely and several of them were mine, I remembered painting them when I was a lad.

Then, I was in town the other week and went to that mall by Boots somewhere and I bought a box of Airfix, WWII British Commandos 1:32 scale for 1, they are usually 9. So far I have given them all an undercoat and started painting a few of them.
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 03 August 2016, 1832 »
I went to Scotland to see a friend from Holyhead yeah and he gave me a box of lead soldiers from about thirty years ago.  When I got home, I went through them more closely and several of them were mine, I remembered painting them when I was a lad.

Then, I was in town the other week and went to that mall by Boots somewhere and I bought a box of Airfix, WWII British Commandos 1:32 scale for 1, they are usually 9. So far I have given them all an undercoat and started painting a few of them.

Apparently, they're unobtainable now ...

You should make a fortune, Rascal.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 03 August 2016, 2359 »
Too late, I've opened the box and started painting them Jean.

I took the metal detector out and got 4.30 and several Pennies ranging from 1920 onwards, two thruppeny bits, several ha'pennies, two two-shilling coins and a silver shilling. Not bad, that lot took just a couple of hours. I found a good plot where coins just keep on popping up.  At times, two coins at a time.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #55 on: Friday 05 August 2016, 1524 »
Too late, I've opened the box and started painting them Jean.

Could you post a picture of the finished figures?

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 06 August 2016, 1240 »
Yeah, no problem. Thanks for the interest.

This means that I am going to have to do a good job on them for you.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 07 August 2016, 2112 »
In the last couple of days, I have unearthed about 40 to 50 coins with the metal detector.  They range from Victorian to modern day.

I also got my first ring but I think that it is of little to no value.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #58 on: Monday 08 August 2016, 1240 »
Yeah, no problem. Thanks for the interest.

This means that I am going to have to do a good job on them for you.

Are you using oils or acrylics?  Back in the day I loved using acrylics.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 August 2016, 0018 »
I don't know what happened here but I replied to you the other day That Guy. I use water based acrylics.

I was in a shop today and there was a selection of Airfix models and the Australian 1:32 scale figures were reduced from 8 to 4, so I got them to paint at a later date.

Also at the weekend, I picked up three William Britains from the 1950 for a good price. One is of a Sihk on horseback, the other is of a piper but it is a bit battered and the last one is a Napoleon figure.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 August 2016, 1251 »
Acrylics.  Far superior to oil paint.  I've been inspired by you Rascal and bought some 100mm romans, now I've got to buy paint and brushes and find the time to paint them.

You're going to need some Germans and Japanese now Rascal.

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 18 August 2016, 1436 »
Acrylics are hard to remove tho and leave your nails awfully weak afterwards. I prefer a bit of Rimmel.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 18 August 2016, 2335 »
Reins, my mama bach has them nail varnishes in all colours. I asked if she has any ones she no longer wants and she has quite a few. I thought I could use them on the fantasy figures. The colours and shine would be different.

That Guy, now you will have to post pics. Which era are the Romans?  I have some still unfinished, the are Naval, so I did some research and found a legion that wore blue, so painted them that rather than the standard red.  Turns out that the Romans were trading with India and Japan.  When I went to Pompeii there were paintings of pagodas on the wall there. and in Rome, there was a massive warehouse the frontage was the size of Buckingham Palace, where all the spices and herbs were kept. The building was irrigated throughout to keep the air moist. I think it burnt down in the end.

There was a shop in Bangor 33 High St. I think, but it closed when I was there the other day. The next nearest one to Holyhead is in Llandudno I think.  It used to be down a side street, but it has moved to a more prominent shop now. I bought a martial arts 25mm lead figure from there and some paints.  The paints are Game Colour, but they are in exactly the same bottles as Model Colour, both made by Vallejo, I have always been happy with these.

As for the Germans and Japs, there were Nazis in the shop in Llanfair PG but only the Tommies were reduced.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #63 on: Friday 19 August 2016, 1211 »

The building was irrigated throughout to keep the air moist. I think it burnt down in the end.

Well I did have to laugh at that.
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 25 August 2016, 0107 »
I sold some of the coins today that I got from metal detecting.

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 25 August 2016, 2330 »
I sold some of the coins today that I got from metal detecting.

Cakes all round on Friday then?
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #66 on: Friday 26 August 2016, 1912 »
They didn't fetch much unfortunatlry , they are going to be melted down for the silver content. I said it was a shame to waste them. But the bloke in the shop said he used to think the same but they will never be rare or worth much as there were that many made and are so avaiabke .

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 28 August 2016, 0959 »
What were they? Old proper Sterling money - ,s,d?
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 28 August 2016, 1838 »
Pre 1947 shillings, two shilling coins

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 28 August 2016, 2120 »
Thanks, the 150 or so coins I dug up are in poor condition from being in the ground. I am going to keep them as collectors wouldn't be interested in such poor specimins . I'm happy to have the coins and be out in the fresh air with my hobby.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 28 August 2016, 2244 »
There was a guy on Porth D a couple of weekends ago with a metal detector. The way those sands have shifted over the last few months I doubt if he would have found anything.
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?