Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Collecting things  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
Re: Collecting things
« Reply #72 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 0948 »
There was a guy on Porth D a couple of weekends ago with a metal detector. The way those sands have shifted over the last few months I doubt if he would have found anything.

He may not have been looking for old coins. During the summer some locals metal detect Porth D and T'Bay beaches in the evening to look for coins dropped by the holidaymakers during the day.

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #73 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 1113 »
Like I did and got a shiney one pound coin just under the surface of the sand on Porth D the other week and a couple of pence off T bay. The place I have had a few is from where the fair was and the grass by four mile bridge.
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!

Online Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #74 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 1241 »
Ever tried the laybys on the A55 where the burger vans park?
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #75 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 1831 »
Not yet, good call, but there will be loads of junk there from cans and wrappers.  I found that the football field by RBs is always topped up.
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #76 on: Monday 12 September 2016, 1241 »
Looking at the rocks in Rhoscolyn this weekend, found a few places were amateur geologists have hacked into the rock formations and taken pieces for their collection.  A very selfish and mean thing to do.  If everyone who was mildly interested in geology did this, there would be nothing left for future geologists to study and amateurs to admire.

Hard to police these ignorant people, they are the geologists equivalent of the dentist who shot Cecil the lion, without the traceability.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #77 on: Monday 12 September 2016, 2147 »
There must be rocks laying around surly.

I was at someone's house the other week and they had a Mary rose 2 coin, but I didn't have one to swap. They would only take a 2 coin because they were all bagged up to take to the bank.  Then, someone told me them ones are rare as hens teeth

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 13 September 2016, 0907 »
The market in 2 coins is a strange one, I have bought 2 coins from eBay that didn't have a minimum price, so I have ended up paying as little as 1.25 each!  It's worth doing a search now and again.  I have two at the moment near enough 'mint' condition with Britannia on the reverse of them, they are worth about 3.25 each.

Somebody gave me a USA silver coin in their change instead of a 5p piece, it's worth about 1.75 when I can be bothered to list it!

I know it's only pennies but as my nain used to say pennies make pounds.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 13 September 2016, 0944 »
There must be rocks laying around surly.

The don't want random pebbles, they had been taking samples of the cliffs - in this case large samples of the grey green schists of the New Harbour group of pre-Cambrian rock, these show spectacular folding demonstrating the intense pressures that these rocks have been through.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 13 September 2016, 1058 »
I have quite a few 2 coins, including the first one from 1986 that was a Christmas present.  Over the years I have put the special editions ones to one side. And the same with 50p s too. 

The Royal Mint produce Proof coins. These are struck twice with some chemical being added before the second strike to make the detail stand out.  I have looked in collectors magazines and these always seem to fetch the bigger money.

However, they produce that many that you would have to have a lot of spare cash to buy them all. I am going to stick to getting them in change.

I don't expect that they will ever be worth a vast amount due to the numbers produced.

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 25 September 2016, 2224 »
Thoughts on the new ?

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 25 September 2016, 2253 »
The look good, and the aa issues are online for 500 already

Offline Shell

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 29 September 2016, 0434 »
The look good, and the aa issues are online for 500 already

I handle them all day in work but don't get the time to inspect them properly. It's possible one has passed through my hands.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 29 September 2016, 0937 »
When I worked at a gym and did the till, I used to keep spare 50p coins and then swap them if an Olympics one was handed over.

Online Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #85 on: Friday 30 September 2016, 1550 »
The new s dont fold properly, unwind themselves from the bundle then slide out of your pocket.

I've not tried laundering any yet.

By that I mean i've not put them through the washer.
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 01 October 2016, 2320 »
Today RBand my good self were going for a bite to eat when we spied a queue outside an empty, but open shop.  I asked the bloke at the front what was going on.

After his explanation, we had our dinner and then got in the queue ourselves.

It took a bit of time but in the end we met the inventor and illustratos.

It was the 2000th edition on 2000AD, and there are two versions printed, different covers. We got our Judge Dread comics signed.

Then I popped into Brian's shop, bought a lead figure a red Indian, and two VW toy cars, one a Lesney and one a corgy.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 02 October 2016, 1207 »
Just had a look on eBay and one of the comics is up for 40, if they get that is a different matter.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 04 October 2016, 0008 »
The new s dont fold properly, unwind themselves from the bundle then slide out of your pocket.

Are they any good for coke? I expect they would make a better straw than the of paper ones.

I've not tried laundering any yet.

By that I mean i've not put them through the washer.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 06 October 2016, 2341 »
That Guy, any progress with the Romans!

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #90 on: Friday 07 October 2016, 1259 »
That Guy, any progress with the Romans!

Short answer is no.  I still have no paints.  BUT, I have purchased some gladiators and some lions and tigers and I am in the process of planning the construction of a part arena to introduce my grandson to the ''Glory that was Rome''.

It's all getting out of hand!

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 08 October 2016, 0128 »
That always seems to happen. Legend has it that anyone that starts to buy lead soldiers, soon ends up with a lead mountain.

One bloke I know, his wife calculated that if he spent five minutes painting each one he had, he would be 110 when he finished.

I moved on to painting a huge piece of slate for a friend.  He asked me to paint a number and the word 'dignity' on it, from one of his favourite songs by deacon blue. 
I have refused to do this and we compromised with the welsh word.  I then designed a dragon, loosely based on the welsh football team shield. In its bottom claws I have put a double spiral helix, how easy was that to draw.  I want to put some fungi on it and something to do with astronomy.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 2257 »
I got a 7" single this weekend.
And some Lego free with the mail.  There was a lady buying the mail and I said to her, I'm buying the paper and you can have it for free, I just want the Lego.  She was happy to save a quid.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 23 October 2016, 2326 »
As mentioned in another post, I went to Carnarvon Castle to see the poppies display, and of course it isn't a trip unless you visit the gift shop.  I got two knites by westair.

Offline Rascal

• Other
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 02 November 2016, 0033 »
After a bit of research, I have found the make of the red Indian I got from Brian's shop the other week.  The manufacturer was John Hill and co. Aka johillco. Circa 1950s. I bought two more at the weekend.  I picked two cowboys this time and a modern figure painted in enamel, giving a high gloss finish. I took them to the counter and asked, how much for these please Brian? He said a tenner.  A tenner! You sold me the red Indian for 75p the other week!   Calm as anything he said, OK three quid.  He just makes it up as he goes along.

Anyhow, the john hill figures are hollow cast. They are not in great condition but I like the style.
The bloke that started the company originally worked for William Britain's but realised that he could manufacture figures and sell them as individuals, rather than in the packs like Britain's.

Offline that guy

• Gravy
  • Bad Man
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 02 November 2016, 1348 »
I moved on to painting a huge piece of slate for a friend.  He asked me to paint a number and the word 'dignity' on it, from one of his favourite songs by deacon blue. 
I have refused to do this and we compromised with the welsh word.  I then designed a dragon, loosely based on the welsh football team shield. In its bottom claws I have put a double spiral helix, how easy was that to draw.  I want to put some fungi on it and something to do with astronomy.
Sounds amazing!