Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pic of the day  (Read 234 times)

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
Pic of the day
« on: Monday 01 May 2017, 0936 »
What is your pic of the day ? Ideally a recent picture of something in Holyhead but it can be anything serious, scenic or just downright punny. No rude pictures though please  ;).

I will start in my own typical style by posting below a picture of one of my inbred cats.

« Last Edit: Monday 01 May 2017, 0940 by Baz »

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
Re: Pic of the day
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 2017, 1054 »
I bet that moggy just loafs around all day long!
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 2017, 1057 »
These jokes are getting very stale.
Even now
My thought is clinging as to a lost learning
Slipped down out of the minds of men,
Labouring to bring her back into my soul.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 2017, 1135 »
He always makes bread when he sits on my lap !

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 2017, 1148 »
WOW ! I've just seen a CL out in her car !

Offline that guy

• Gravy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 2017, 1815 »
 :)

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 2017, 2041 »
Here is a photo of some members of my family messing about on a beach near Holyhead over the winter.

Can you name this beach ?

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Other
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 2017, 2241 »
Well, it ain't Porth D and it ain't Porth-y-Post! I'm thinking it may be that little one in between, just over the edge from C@wsh!t Corner. The name escapes me for now.
It's just the bear necessities of life!

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 May 2017, 2319 »
Well, it ain't Porth D and it ain't Porth-y-Post! I'm thinking it may be that little one in between, just over the edge from C@wsh!t Corner. The name escapes me for now.

You got it Nooks, Isallt Fawr  ;)

OK now for a harder one. Which local beach is this ? look at the shape of the pebbles and the grass for clues. Aww and that poor lost sole.

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 May 2017, 1745 »
Penrhos?
Even now

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 May 2017, 1753 »
is it Allstar beach? or Chuck Taylor cove?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 May 2017, 1904 »
Five Star Bay or Chuck Norris Estuary?
Even now

Offline Reenie

• Original Welsh Dragon
  • Administrator
  • um..like ...where's Wils?
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 0629 »
Oooh oooh, is it Lost Trainer Leap or Sport shoe Nest?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1327 »
Penrhos?

Close enough my friend, it's the Valley side - just across the water from Penrhos Nature Reserve/ Coastal Park.

Here is a photo from the same beach looking towards Holyhead. There is an old wreck in the photo too.

« Last Edit: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1712 by Baz »

Offline Wils

• There Is No Plan B
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1718 »
I don't think that's a beach, as much as a collection of muddy stones and seaweed that just happens to be next to some water.
Even now

Offline that guy

• Gravy
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1801 »
Penrhos?

Close enough my friend, it's the Valley side - just across the water from Penrhos Nature Reserve/ Coastal Park.

Here is a photo from the same beach looking towards Holyhead. There is an old wreck in the photo too.

Lovely picture Baz!

She is the the "Thora" a small vessel that used to run coal from the port around to Bedmannarch Bay up that part of the cob that widens out into a grassy square.  You know, where the fishermen park.

She would unload there and the coal would go via horse and cart out to Valley and surrounding countryside.

I can't recall the date 1935 - 1950's? but one fateful day the "Thora" made her last trip around Bedmannarch Bay and was scuttled on the beach by the site of the original Valley Foundry, I guess the blacksmith played a major part in the operation; as he would have had the tools and strength.

She was fully surveyed about 5 years ago by a team of scientists and there is a site somewhere that has all these details, and much more but usefully I've lost the url
« Last Edit: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1803 by that guy »

Offline that guy

• Gravy
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1851 »
If you look over the wall from the cob you can see the remains of a load of guttering that somebody dumped whilst parked on that part of the cob.  The plastic shards of guttering are to be seen stuck upright in the sand all along the channels which are the deepest part of this portion of the bay.  A truly moronic place to fly tip your building rubble and debris. >:(

Offline Baz

• The Mountie
  • Panad
  • BOOM BOOM !
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1854 »
I don't think that's a beach, as much as a collection of muddy stones and seaweed that just happens to be next to some water.

I guess for you, life's a beach !

Lovely picture Baz!

She is the the "Thora" a small vessel that used to run coal from the port around to Bedmannarch Bay up that part of the cob that widens out into a grassy square.  You know, where the fishermen park.

She would unload there and the coal would go via horse and cart out to Valley and surrounding countryside.

I can't recall the date 1935 - 1950's? but one fateful day the "Thora" made her last trip around Bedmannarch Bay and was scuttled on the beach by the site of the original Valley Foundry, I guess the blacksmith played a major part in the operation; as he would have had the tools and strength.

She was fully surveyed about 5 years ago by a team of scientists and there is a site somewhere that has all these details, and much more but usefully I've lost the url

Hey thanks TG  for the very interesting info. Holyhead is my home town but embarrassingly I could'nt remember anything about the wreck.

If you look over the wall from the cob you can see the remains of a load of guttering that somebody dumped whilst parked on that part of the cob.  The plastic shards of guttering are to be seen stuck upright in the sand all along the channels which are the deepest part of this portion of the bay.  A truly moronic place to fly tip your building rubble and debris. >:(

Yes maybe it was a company that did it due to the cost of getting rid of commercial waste. Sadly these morons are rarely caught.
« Last Edit: Saturday 20 May 2017, 1858 by Baz »

Offline Jean

• Not very Welsh dragon
  • Other
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 May 2017, 1352 »

The site wouldn't be one of these, would it, Thatguy?  (You might need some time to look through ... )

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 May 2017, 1156 »

Lovely picture Baz!

Interesting information this which throws a fresh light on my shaky memories.

I recall being told (or rather learning by half listening) that this wrecked boat was somehow associated with Scott of the Antarctic -- it had been part of his fateful expedition. Thinking about it now it makes no sense.

No evidence was forthcoming to support this widely held local folk tale but it seemed to be a part of HH history  -- as much as the shell of the wartime MTB beached at Bolsach which had been bought by a local for 1/- "for the wood".

Not waiting for the others.

Offline Rascal

• Other
  • I love my daughter more than any pig
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 2017, 1858 »
I wondered what they were, thanks,
IT IS RASCALS BIRTHDAY BEFORE MONKEY FIDDLERS!!! STILL!!!      
Oooh, it's all "Wils, Wils, Wils!"
Rascal bach, you have no idea how hard I'm laughing at your last post.  You are so funny.
I think Rascal should apologise for Wils - seriously!