Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stena pull out - but still get profits!  (Read 320 times)

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Administrator
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?

Offline Trefignath

• Dignified Elderly and Venerated Oldie
  • Administrator
  • Back Again.
Re: Stena pull out - but still get profits!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 2018, 1717 »
Have they made any plans todeal with the wrckage from storm Emma?
Not waiting for the others.

Offline Nooks

• Bear faced cheek!
  • Administrator
  • It's just the bear necessities of life!
Re: Stena pull out - but still get profits!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 2018, 2302 »
I'm not sure that Stena owned the Marina, more likely they leased the land (or in this case area of harbour) to somebody else who constructed and operated the marina. The initial clean up involved Stena, the Council, Marina, Holyhead Boatyard, Holyhead Towing and even individual volunteers.

After the salvageable craft were moved, attention was given to the mass of polystyrene appearing all around the coast (the marina pontoons basically consisted of concrete icing on blocks of polystyrene). Most of the largely still-intact blocks are now stacked up near the bottom gateway to Holyhead boatyard at the far end of Newry - I saw them on Sunday after visiting the Boathouse Hotel for Sunday Lunch (terrific meal by the way). There are still a few blocks in their original position out in the harbour, but it just looks like a few small square islands now.

Other than that there doesn't seem to be a lot happening. I suppose there are now a lot of arguments going on behind the scenes as to who is to blame and who should foot the bill. it is very much the same for one of my local churches who lost part of their roof on the same night the marina was destroyed. Insurers are trying like mad to find a reason not to pay up.

How all this affects the proposal of the new marina as per the thread I'm not sure. As I see it, I don't think Conygar are a massive concern and their developments rely heavily on investment from others. Stena have now said they are not prepared to invest, however (as per the marina as-was) they are happy to lease the land for the development to take place.

I'm reading between the lines with all this. If anybody knows different or have alternative theories, please feel free to correct.
Mum! Dad! Wheres my breakfast gone? And who's that blonde tart in my bed?